Partners in Reading - Digital Skill Building
Partners in Reading (PAR) offers free technology instruction for learners in the program. The PAR computer lab and volunteer technology instructors help adults use computers, laptops, tablets, and smart phones.
What are Digital Skills?
Digital skills mean knowing how to use technology to find information, communicate, create, and solve problems.
Computers, cell phones, and the internet are important parts of our lives. We need to know how to use them.
Adult learners in PAR are able to work on digital skills as they improve their reading and writing skills. Call PAR at 1-408-808-2361 to join the program!
PAR Computer Lab Hours
The PAR Computer Lab is only open to PAR learners when the PAR office is open.
Get Technology Help
Volunteers in the PAR Computer Lab can help you with many basic technology skills, such as how to:
- Use a computer, laptop, tablet, or phone
- Type using a keyboard
- Text on a phone
- Write and send emails
- Use online calendars
- Use online banking
- Apply for jobs
- Connect with a doctor or other health care professional
- Search for information on the internet
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, or Google Documents
PAR learners can borrow Chromebook laptops from the PAR office for 90 days with their library card. Ask PAR staff if you are interested in borrowing a Chromebook laptop by calling 1-408-808-2361. Please leave a message with your name and phone number.
Learn on Your Own
- Digital Skill Building Pathways – free lessons on digital skills from the San Jose Public Library
- DigitalLearn.org – Watch short videos on computer basics
- GCFLearnFree.org – Learn about computer basics, social media, Microsoft Office and more... Includes a lesson on browser basics.
- TypingClub.com - lessons and practice for typing on a keyboard.