An eLibrary Card gets you 24/7 instant access to our online resources. This is a digital library card, so you won't get a physical card.
- It's free to apply and access library services.
- Available to all California residents
- This card is available temporarily due to the pandemic.
- Be sure to enter your preferred name on the application. Your preferred name is the name that you want us to use for you. It might be different from your legal name.
Free Full Access Library Card
- Receive 24/7 instant access to the Library's online resources.
- Borrow books, movies, music, audiobooks, and more.
- Borrow SJ Access mobile Wi-Fi hotspots, laptops, and other tech devices.
- Use the Library's computers and printers.
- San Jose residents (ages 18+) can apply to earn a high school diploma online for free.
- Available to all California residents.
- This card is valid for 4 years.
- Be sure to enter your preferred name on the application. Your preferred name is the name that you want us to use for you. It might be different from your legal name. Bring a valid photo ID with your legal name when you come to pick up your library card.
Limited Status Library Cards
- Can't show proof of your current address? You can get a Limited Status Card.
- This card allows you to borrow 1 physical item at a time. You can also use online learning and streaming services, collections, and more.
- To get this card, follow the Full Access Card instructions:
- Then, talk with a staff member when you arrive to pick up your card.
Replacement Library Cards
Replacement cards are available at any library location. Do you need to access your lost/stolen card but can't go to the library? Connect with a staff member to get your library card number and reset your PIN (personal identification number).