Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Maximum Salary: $208,669
Full/Part Time: Full
Employee Status: Regular
Close Date: March 23, 2018
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online (PDF, 2.97 MB)
Position and Duties
The Assistant Library Director works in partnership with the Director to administer and manage all aspects of service at the San José Public Library, providing oversight of major operational areas and acting as a lead member of the Library’s Executive Leadership Team. The Assistant Library Director will act as the Chief Operating Officer for the Library Department.
- Participating in the planning, organization and overall direction of the Library system
- Directing and coordinating implementation of policies, services, and innovations
- Evaluation of programs and make recommendations
- Collaborating and leading workflow process improvements
- Representing the Library in civic and community venues
- Ensuring that services and programs meet the rapidly evolving needs of our communities
It is important that the Assistant Director has a positive and inclusive leadership style to support, engage, and empower staff in their efforts to develop new and innovative programs to serve a growing and diverse population.
- Education: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to completion of a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university. Master’s Degree of Library and Information Sciences is preferred.
- Experience: Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in library business management and/or administration, operations, and maintenance.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.