Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José's employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and select the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
Literacy Program Specialist
Salary Range: $63,939.20–77,584.00
Job ID: 1900984
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Employee Status: Regular
Close Date: June 10, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
The Library is seeking Literacy Program Specialists to join our team and change the lives of those we serve! The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; demonstrate leadership and a commitment to active customer service; have knowledge of current literacy technology and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment. Literacy Program Specialists are responsible for coordinating programs and services provided by the library.
Literacy Program Specialists are community connectors. They identify community needs, collaborate with partner organizations, and guide library customers to information and helpful resources. Specialists are responsible for performing a variety of professional duties including: implementing grants; planning/implementing or finding partners for library programs; conducting community outreach; evaluating the effectiveness of programs, computer software, and online learning tools; formulating a strong partnership with the Library’s Early Education, Expanded Learning and Education and Programming Services units; and having knowledge of current literacy trends. These positions may include evenings and weekend shifts.
We are currently recruiting Literacy Program Specialists with strong communication skills to implement the City’s Education and Digital Literacy Strategy. The Literacy Program Specialist will be responsible for:
- Working with community partners and staff to develop and implement programming that aligns with quality standards
- Identifying opportunities for programming and applying for grants
- Collaborating with the library’s Data Unit to define data collection, standards, assessments and outcomes
- Ensuring that all programs are assessed for quality standards and achievement of desired outcomes
- Developing partnerships and collaborating with school districts, community organizations, library staff, other city departments, local businesses and civic partners
- Writing memos and reports
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Currently, we are recruiting for several vacancies. Two positions are overstrength (temporary) funded through June 30, 2020, pending council approval.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Literacy, Education, Social or Human Services, or related field.
- Experience: One (1) year experience working in a literacy program
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Security Officer, Part-Time
Hourly Range: $22.58 – $27.45
Job ID: 1900758
Employee Status: Regular
Close Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED Review of applications to begin June 5, 2019
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Operations, this position is responsible for performing work focused around security services at any of the 24 San José Public Library branches, and providing a safe and orderly environment for staff and the public. The Security Officer will provide security support to the Security unit at branches needing security personnel.
This position requires afternoon to early evening availability Monday – Saturday. Shift rotation may be required every 6 months and will be based on the needs of the department. The Security Officer will monitor the flow of library customers inside the library building assist staff with responding to Library Conduct Policy violations. The Security Officer will also monitor and respond to incidents on library property and the outside perimeter of library building and library parking lots. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Interact with a diverse population of library customers and employees to preserve a calm, inviting, and safe community environment; provide customer service to library customers, such as providing general information and assistance.
- Patrol multiple library branch locations, including building interior and exterior to identifying and deter illegal activities, suspicious behavior or dangerous situations, while promoting a positive visual presence.
- Address and deescalate difficult, complex, or potentially volatile situations such as uncooperative library customers in a positive manner; determine the best means of solving security situations, including enforcing library procedures and policies to prevent conduct policy violations and criminal activity before it happens, warn customers of rule infractions or violations, and suspend violators.
- Investigate potentially hazardous conditions and communicates with Police, Fire, Ambulance, and other agencies as appropriate; liaise with the University Police Department and San Jose Police Department, as needed; Respond to emergencies at any of the branch libraries; Respond to medical emergencies and may provide first aid or CPR.
- Interpret and apply legal statutes, laws, departmental policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Provide information and write up incident reports; draft suspension requests; assist with documentation of activities and irregularities, such as disruptions, trespassing, intoxication, harassment, and other behaviors.
- Maintain confidential, security-related records/information.
- Provide guidance to library staff on library security procedures.
- Education: Completion of high school or equivalent (General Education Development [GED] Test or California Proficiency Certificate).
- Experience: (1) year of experience in security, safety, or law enforcement.
- Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver's license. Current CPR and American Red Cross Standard First Aid certification desired, but not required for hiring.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation's highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion that was approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don't miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL's Volunteer page to sign up.