Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Salary Range: $41,974.40 – $51,001.60
Job ID: 1700849
Full/Part Time: Full / Part Time
Close Date: 6/1/2017
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
Library Clerks facilitate quality service through direct assistance to the customers of the San José Public Library System. This is done through the performance of a variety of clerical activities which includes the following:
- Greeting customers and explaining library materials usage policies and procedures;
- Checking materials in and out; shelving materials;
- Assisting with the use of self check machines;
- Entering data on computer terminals;
- Issuing borrowers’ cards;
- Preparing and processing materials for circulation;
- Processing materials holds;
- Maintaining records and files;
- Accepting fines;
- Operating cash registers;
- Handling routine problems; and
- Assisting with training of and serving as lead person for Library Pages, Library Aides, and volunteers.
We are looking for candidates who are able to provide excellent customer service in an innovative, fast-paced, team environment. As a front-line customer service representative for the library, Library Clerks play a key part in making the library experience a positive one for our customers. SJPL is currently recruiting for multiple Full-Time and Part-Time vacancies. Part-time positions are benefited and are normally scheduled to work 20 – 24 hours per week. Full-Time and Part-Time Clerks are typically expected to work some nights and weekends on a rotation basis.
These positions require pushing or pulling carts loaded with materials; packing, unpacking and transporting shipment boxes; reaching, bending and stooping to put materials on low and high shelves; lifting up to 25 pounds and actively moving for several hours at a time.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Education: Completion of high school, G.E.D., or California Proficiency Certificate
- Experience: One year of full-time experience performing duties similar to Library Page, which would include checking in and out of library materials and performing simple office routines.
- Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver's license may be required for some assignments.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.