Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Community Programs Administrator - Library Education Initiatives
Salary Range: $83,033.60 - $101,171.20
Job ID: 5097
Full/Part Time: Full
Close Date: 08/05/2016
Apply: Open-Competitive Recruitments
Position and Duties
This Community Programs Administrator is a new position charged with developing and administering a citywide strategy for supporting education and digital literacy, in consultation with schools, non-profit service providers, foundations, and the community. Under the supervision of the City Librarian and Assistant Director, the position will work closely with Library staff in Instruction and Programming Services, Early Education, Marketing and Communications, Strategic Development, King Library, and Branch Libraries operations in the San José Public Library System. The individual who succeeds in this position will analyze available data and work with internal and external stakeholders to identify potential service priorities, partnerships, and opportunities related to support for educational attainment of San José residents. He or she will provide collaborative oversight, project management, and participation for the Library's customer-focused projects and initiatives that involve public learning and academic success for students of all ages in San José.
The Community Programs Administrator will convene or serve on initiative teams involving library staff, partners, and volunteers to launch pilot efforts that test or advance educational programs and outcomes, evaluate results, make recommendations, and oversee implementation for system-wide up-scaling of successful service models. In collaboration with initiative teams, the selected candidate will guide staff with emphasis on creativity, innovation, and incorporating and defining best practices to position San José Public Library as a forerunner in education-focused Library services.
This position will serve as a bridge between staff teams and Administration and other resources necessary for successful support of education, evaluate and analyze pilots and experiments, to learn from failures and build upon success. This individual in this position will represent the Library and the Director with City staff and other stakeholders. This position will communicate results internally with Library staff and collaborate with Library Marketing to share achievements and aspirations with the public, potential talent, and resource partners outside the organization.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have current knowledge of education policy, collaboration models, data collection, and analysis methodology as well as the ability to lead staff through development of enhanced service models.
- Be a self-starter who is able to take initiative, yet seek approvals and keep leadership informed as appropriate.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in public administration, information management, social work, sociology, psychology, or a related field (Education, Media Arts, etc.).
- Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible professional experience related to policy development, education-based programming, or instruction.
- Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver's license may be required for some assignments.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.