Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and select the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
Literacy Program Specialist
Salary Range: $63,939.20–77,584.00
Job ID: 1800671
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Employee Status: Regular
Close Date: Apr 23, 2018, 6:59:00 AM
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
The Library is seeking Literacy Program Specialists to join our team and change the lives of those we serve! The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice, and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; demonstrate leadership and a commitment to active customer service; have knowledge of current literacy technology and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment. Literacy Program Specialists are responsible for coordinating programs and services provided by the library.
Literacy Program Specialists are community connectors. They identify community needs, collaborate with partner organizations, and guide library customers to information and helpful resources. Specialists are responsible for performing a variety of professional duties including: implementing grants; planning, implementing, or finding partners for library programs; conducting community outreach; evaluating the effectiveness of programs, computer software, and online learning tools; formulating a strong partnership with the Library's Adult and Family Literacy department, Partners in Reading; and having knowledge of current literacy trends. These positions may include evenings and weekend shifts.
We are currently recruiting two literacy program specialists with strong communication skills for our San José Learns (SJ Learns) and San José Promise (SJ Promise) programs.
SJ Learns was established in 2015 and over the two years of this program, 16 schools in San José were able to provide enhanced after-school services to support more than 1,100 K-3rd grade students who were at-risk of not learning at grade level. You will support SJ Learns 2.0 which will include a competitive grant process, implementation of best practices, associated program evaluation and reporting to ensure quality services and align these efforts with the literacy goals of the Schools/City Collaborative.
The Literacy Program Specialist for SJ Learns will be responsible for:
- Connecting grant-funded programs with efforts to support the Schools/City Collaborative;
- Supporting the development of a city-wide learning collaborative between City, School District, and partner organizations; and
- Ensuring that all related programs are assessed for quality standards and student achievement.
SJ Promise is aimed at eliminating financial barriers to college, and supporting college and career readiness for San José public school students from low-income families. You will be responsible for coordinating community partnerships with programs such as Work2Future, SJ Works and implementing an online learning platform that supports college and career readiness programs.
The Literacy Program Specialist for SJ Promise will be responsible for:
- Coordinating with local college readiness programs through the Schools/City Collaborative, Santa Clara County Office of Education, and other partners;
- Partnering with high school graduation and higher education admissions programs;
- Implementing an online learning platform that supports both SJ Promise and SJ Learns; and
- Supporting the development of career readiness content on the online platform that complements and advances current programs supported by partner City Departments
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
This is a temporary position with the Library Department and is approved through June 30, 2018. However, funding has been secured through June 2019. Any extension of this position is subject to approval.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Literacy, Education, Social or Human Services, or related field.
- Experience: One (1) year experience working in a literacy program
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.