Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Assistant To The Director
Salary Range: $89,689.60 – $109,324.80
Job ID: 1701188
Full/Part Time: Full
Close Date: 7/31/2017
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
Under direction of the City Librarian, provides duties of a Chief of Staff for Library Administration, in the areas of policy, systems implementation, cross-divisional project management, and reporting to stakeholders. Specific duties and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates the development of Library policies, particularly in critical areas relating to public access, privacy, learning initiatives, and operational systems.
- Works closely with the Library’s Executive Leadership Team to facilitate and streamline administrative processes.
- Develops and recommends new and revised procedures that influence departmental operations and impact.
- Oversees project management team, coordinating cross-divisional initiatives that involve department leadership, branch libraries, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, technical and collection services, library information technology, youth services, personnel, and business offices, communications, and marketing, and more.
- Supervises administrative support staff with the goal of providing assistance to the Executive Leadership Team and administrative operations within the Library.
- Provides research, guidance, and communications related to city, state, and regional policy initiatives and pending legislation regarding libraries, education, digital inclusion, privacy and data, and other social services as they relate to the mission and initiatives of the Library.
- Represents the City Library and Department in developing, negotiating, and maintaining key partnerships that advance the mission and initiatives of the Library.
- Manages the development of department reports and communications to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this or other divisions/departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business or public administration, or a closely-related field.
- Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in public or business administration/management, including one (1) year of experience at the level that is equivalent to Sr. Analyst or higher.
- Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver’s license may be required.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.