Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Senior Librarian - Web Services
Salary Range: $83,033.60 – $101,171.20
Job ID: 1700020
Full/Part Time: Full
Close Date: 1/23/2017
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
The Senior Librarian for Web Services will be under the supervision of the Division Manager of Innovation and will work closely with San José Public Library (SJPL) and San José State University (SJSU) Information Technology and Technical Services. This position will consider new trends in web and mobile technology, analyze library applicability, and work with SJSU counterparts, Library IT, Marketing and other units for implementation.
The Senior Librarian for Web Services will provide collaborative oversight of the Library’s website and coordination of Integrated Library System (ILS) services, electronic resources and implementation and support of staff technology resources, such as SharePoint. The Senior Librarian for Web Services will oversee committees and work to ensure technology is understood throughout the organization. The successful candidate will supervise SJPL’s web team and electronic resources staff. We are looking for a leader comfortable with technology and an understanding of how emerging technology can facilitate vital library services.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create websites, web code and applications, using Drupal
- Evaluate, pilot, and implement web solutions
- Integrate social media and e-library technology
- Plan, implement and evaluate trainings/programs/services
- Establish performance measures
- Monitor program budgets
- Prioritize and assign work, conduct performance evaluations and ensure staff is trained
- Lead organization-wide staff through web and electronic resources evolution and development
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Education: Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university, plus three (3) years of increasingly responsible professional library experience, including supervision or lead responsibility for professional and technical staff.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and (4) four years of increasingly responsible professional library experience, including supervision or lead responsibility for web design staff and familiarity with electronic resources for libraries.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.