Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José's employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and select the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
Librarian I Hourly & Annual Range: $32.74 – $39.80; $68,099.20 – $82,794.00
Librarian II Hourly & Annual Range: $35.02 – $42.60; $72,841.60 – $88,88608.00
Job ID: 1901487
Employee Status: Regular
Close Date: August 30, 2019, 6:59:00 AM
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Librarian I/II classifications shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Position and Duties
It is an exciting time in San Jose! Under the leadership of Library Journal’s 2017 Librarian of the Year, Jill Bourne, we have implemented numerous initiatives - opportunities to regain library access; creation of teenHQ, the King Library’s teen center and maker space; launch of the Maker(Space)Ship, a mobile maker space; and SJPL works, a space for small business and workforce development. Now is your opportunity to work for one of the most innovative library systems in the nation.
We are seeking new Librarians to join our team and change the lives of those we serve! The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; demonstrate leadership and a commitment to active customer service; have knowledge of current library technology and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment.
We are looking for flexible, service-oriented, friendly, and smart librarians, proud of their profession and wanting to make a difference in their community. Our librarians perform a variety of professional librarian duties. This may include presenting storytimes, conducting outreach, networking with community groups and businesses, answering reference questions, and overseeing volunteers. All our staff are trained in providing excellent customer service.
These positions will include evenings and weekend shifts.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
NOTE: If you are currently a part time unbenefited or benefited San Jose Public Library employee seeking full time employment, you must apply. We may use this candidate pool to fill future positions.
- Education & Experience:
- Librarian I — A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
- Librarian II — A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university AND one (1) year of professional library experience.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation's highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion that was approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don't miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
Interview Tips and Practice
Monday, August 26, 2019 -- 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Pearl Avenue Branch Library - Community Room
4270 Pearl Avenue
San José, CA 95136
For more information contact Library Personnel at Personnel@sjlibrary.org
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL's Volunteer page to sign up.