Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Salary Range: $88,304.09 - $134,826.78
Job ID: 5139
Full/Part Time: Full
Close Date: 08/28/2016
Apply: Open-Competitive Recruitments
Position and Duties
Under direction of the City Librarian, the Administrative Officer manages the Library Department's Administrative Services Division. This position is responsible for the fiscal and business management and human resources functions of the department, including developing and managing the operating and capital budgets and supervising the following units: Personnel, Contracts, and the Business Office.
This position has considerable contact with staff in the City Manager's Office and other City departments, particularly those in Budget, Finance, Public Works, Human Resources, Employee Relations, Code Enforcement, and the Parks, Recreation, and Neighborhood Services Department. The unique relationship of the King Library also requires this position to be closely involved with decision making and oversight, working daily with staff and management of the San José State University Library and other SJSU operational departments. Additionally, this position will work closely with the Library Management Team, providing support in regards to fiscal and staffing resources needed to achieve the Department¿s goals. In view of this, the Administrative Officer plays a critical role in delivering services of exceptional quality to Department and City staff. The Administrative Officer is also the controlling point for administrative research and information and is responsible for troubleshooting all administrative and procedural questions as they arise to ensure that City policies and procedures are followed.
Due to the complexity, confidentiality, and scope of authority involved, this position requires someone who handles multiple assignments well in a complete and timely fashion with the ability to work independently/autonomously. This position also requires an individual who can provide a high level of leadership, excellent internal and external communication, vision and strategic planning in the management of all administrative processes and the Library's budget.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- Experience: Six (6) years of increasingly responsible experience in business management and/or administration, including at least two years of experience supervising professional staff.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.