Temporary Changes to Express Pickup
SJPL's Express Pickup hours of operation have been temporarily reduced to Tuesday–Saturday from 2:00–6:00 PM. This new change is in response to Santa Clara County's move back to Purple Tier and the Regional Stay at Home Order.
As a result of the temporary hours modification, the holds and bundles procedures have changed:
- Holds: Library holds have been reduced from a maximum of 30 to 10 requests.
- Bundles: Bundles only include non-requestable items and are limited to 2 bundles per customer.
For questions about these changes, please connect with a library staff member available 7 days a week through SJPL's chat service.
How Does Express Pickup Work?
Reserve (hold) your items online or call a participating location*
Wait to be notified by email or phone once your items are ready for pickup
Book an appointment to pick up your items
Book an Appointment
Book an appointment online to pick up your items after you have been notified that they are ready. Appointments are required at West Valley and Vineland branches and are optional at other branches.
* Already have an item on hold at an Express Pickup location, and you've been notified it's ready? Begin at Step 3.
Pickup Locations, Hours, & Contact
Tuesday – Saturday
2:00 – 6:00 PM
When you arrive at one of the following locations, you can text "PICKUP" to 408-610-1296, or you can call:
- Almaden Branch Library
- Alum Rock Branch Library
- Alviso Branch Library
- Bascom Branch Library
- Berryessa Branch Library
- Biblioteca Latinoamericana Branch Library
- Calabazas Branch Library
- Cambrian Branch Library
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
- East San José Carnegie Branch Library
- Edenvale Branch Library
- Educational Park Branch Library
- Evergreen Branch Library
- Hillview Branch Library
- Joyce Ellington Branch Library
- Pearl Avenue Branch Library
- Rose Garden Branch Library
- Santa Teresa Branch Library
- Seven Trees Branch Library
- Tully Branch Library
- Village Square Branch Library
- Vineland Branch Library
by appointment only
- West Valley Branch Library
by appointment only
- Willow Glen Branch Library
What do I do when I arrive at my pickup location?
- Have your library card number ready.
- If driving, park in the designated "Express Pickup" area.
- Call or text to let staff know when you arrive.
- Wait in the designated area for staff to bring out your items and place them on the Express Pickup table.
Need special assistance or have a special request? Please notify staff prior to your pickup or appointment.
What else do I need to know?
- Face coverings required for anyone (ages 6+) waiting in line to pickup items.
- Please do not leave any items on the Express Pickup table.
- There is a maximum of 10 hold requests on physical items for Temporary Cardholders and Full Access Cardholders.
- Use the book drop to return your items 24/7.
- For your safety, all returned items are placed in quarantine. It may take up to 4 days for items to clear your account.
- Please do not use disinfecting wipes on items.
- You may experience longer wait times for held items to arrive.
- We are currently not accepting book donations.