Featured Program: Lawyers in the Library
Connect with an attorney from the Pro Bono Project for a FREE, 20 minute legal advice appointment:
- VIRTUAL: 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, June 4 – December 03, 2022; January 7 – May 20, 2023
- Please call (408) 998-5298 ext. 8 during the week prior to the session and leave a message with your name and callback number.
- An attorney will call you for your FREE, 20-minute legal consultation.
- Assistance will be provided on a first come, first served basis.
- Space is limited to the first 6 callers
- Calls will only be returned during the session hours
- IN-PERSON: 1st and 3rd Mondays, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM, STARTING January 9 – May 15, 2023
Register Online. Six 20-minute time slots are available each Monday. An attorney will meet with you in King Library Room 392 at the appointment time.
- VIRTUAL: Every Wednesday, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM, September 7 – December 21, 2022; January 11 – May 10, 2023
Register Online. Six 20-minute time slots are available each Wednesday. On the appointment date, an attorney will call between 4:00–6:00 PM.
Due to high demand, only one appointment is allowed per customer each quarter.
These web resources about law and legal help have been selected for you by librarians.
- California State Bar – Attorney search, specialist search, problems with a lawyer.
- Public Directory of Attorneys - Santa Clara County Bar Association.
- California 'Fillable' and 'Non-fillable' Legal Forms – Extensive list by form name or number.
- California Courts Self-Help Center
- LawHelpCA.org - Legal resources and attorney info for low-income Californians.
- Santa Clara County Law Library
- Santa Clara County Superior Court Self-Service Center – Find help on representing yourself, working with a lawyer, getting free & low cost legal help.
- Legal Services of Northern California – Legal information, including links to other resources, for employment, food benefits, health, housing, race equity, and seniors.
- Asian Law Alliance – Free and low-cost assistance for Asian/Pacific Islanders with limited English or who do not understand the American legal system. Specializes in: public benefits, housing, domestic violence, victims of violent crime, immigration and deportation defense, civil rights.
- Bay Area Legal Aid – Specializes in housing, public benefits, consumer law, domestic violence.
- California Rural Legal Assistance – Provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of California's rural counties.
- India Community Center Free Legal Clinic (Milpitas) – Consultations provided by the South Asian Bar Association.
- Katharine and George Alexander Community Law Center – Advice and representation regarding worker's, consumer, and immigration rights.
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley – Multi-lingual advocacy, education, counseling, and free access to the legal system for those who were traditionally unrepresented, with special focus on health, fair housing, children and youth, and mental health.
- Muslim Community Association Free Legal Clinic (Santa Clara) – Consultations, reference center and workshops.
- Pro Bono Project of Silicon Valley – providers of "Lawyers in the Library". Specializes in: domestic violence, paternity, child support, child custody, guardianship, and record expungement.
- Project Sentinel – Landlord-tenant dispute resolution.
- Step Forward Foundation – Immigration and family law services for survivors of domestic violence / sexual assault.
- Superior Court of Santa Clara County Family Law Facilitators – Self Help Center and Restraining Order Help Center.
Copyright, Patents, Trademarks
- Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara - Court locations, jury duty, forms, fees.
- Santa Clara County Superior Court: Case Info
- Supreme Court of the U.S. - opinions, cases, docket, calendar.
- United States Courts - Federal courts, district courts, bankruptcy courts.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California - locations, procedures, forms, fees.
Law and Legislation
- U.S. Constitution Annotated (FindLaw.com)
- National Archives - Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, U.S. Constitution.
- Constitute - The world's constitutions to read, search, and compare.
- U.S. Code
- THOMAS: Bill Search and Texts (1989/101st Congress to present)
- U.S. Government Printing Office, Federal Digital System - search Code of Federal Regulations, Federal Register, Congressional Documents and more.
Law - History and Primary Sources
- Avalon Project - Yale - 3,500+ primary source documents, historic & current.