Lawyers in the Library (Virtual)
Connect with an attorney from the Pro Bono Project for a FREE, 20 minute legal advice appointment online:
- Every Wednesday, 4:00 - 6:00 PM, September 15 - December 22, 2021; January 12 - May 25, 2022
Register Online. Six 20-minute time slots are available each Wednesday. An attorney will call between 4:00-6:00 PM on the appointment date.
- 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, September 18 - December 18, 2021; January 15 - May 21, 2022
- Call (408) 998-5298 ext. 8 and leave a message with your name and callback number beginning at 10 AM.
- An attorney will call you for your FREE, 20-minute legal consultation.
- Assistance will be provided on a first come, first served basis.
- Space is limited to the first 6 callers
- Calls will only be returned during the session hours
See other options for legal assistance below.
Visit the following websites, selected for you by librarians, for more information on this topic:
- California State Bar – Attorney search, specialist search, problems with a lawyer.
- Public Directory of Attorneys - Santa Clara County Bar Association.
- California 'Fillable' and 'Non-fillable' Legal Forms – Extensive list by form name or number.
- Federal and State Court Forms (FindLaw.com)
- California Courts Self-Help Center
- LawHelpCA.org - Legal resources and attorney info for low-income Californians.
- Santa Clara County Law Library (360 N 1st St., 408-299-3567)
- Santa Clara County Superior Court Self-Service Center – Find help on representing yourself, working with a lawyer, getting free & low cost legal help.
- Legal Services of Northern California – Legal information, including links to other resources, for employment, food benefits, health, housing, race equity, and seniors.
- Asian Law Alliance – Free and low-cost assistance for Asian/Pacific Islanders with limited English or who do not understand the American legal system. Specializes in: public benefits, housing, domestic violence, victims of violent crime, immigration and deportation defense, civil rights.
- Bay Area Legal Aid – Specializes in: housing, public benefits, consumer law, domestic violence.
- California Rural Legal Assistance
- India Community Center Free Legal Clinic (Milpitas) – Consultations provided by the South Asian Bar Association.
- Katharine and George Alexander Community Law Center – Advice and representation regarding worker's, consumer, and immigration rights.
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley – Multi-lingual advocacy, education, counseling, and free access to the legal system for those who were traditionally unrepresented, with special focus on health, fair housing, children and youth, and mental health.
- Muslim Community Association Free Legal Clinic (Santa Clara) – Consultations, reference center and workshops.
- Pro Bono Project of Silicon Valley – providers of "Lawyers in the Library". Specializes in: domestic violence, paternity, child support, child custody, guardianship, and record expungement.
- Project Sentinel – Landlord-tenant dispute resolution.
- Senior Adults Legal Assistance (Santa Clara County) – Support for older persons in their efforts to live safely, independently, non-institutionalized, and with dignity. Specializes in: public benefits, long term care, elder abuse, housing, consumer, incapacity planning, probate alternatives, simple wills.
- Step Forward Foundation – Immigration and family law services for survivors of domestic violence / sexual assault.
- Superior Court of Santa Clara County Family Law Facilitators – Self Help Center and Restraining Order Help Center.
Copyright, Patents, Trademarks
- Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara - Court locations, jury duty, forms, fees.
- Santa Clara Co. Superior Court: Public Access Case Info
- Supreme Court of the U.S. - opinions, cases, docket, calendar.
- United States Courts - Federal courts, district courts, bankruptcy courts.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California - locations, procedures, forms, fees.
Law and Legislation - Local
Law and Legislation - California
- California Constitution & Code
- California Municipal and County Codes, Ordinances, and Charters
- California State Legislature: Bill Tracking Database
Law and Legislation - Federal
- U.S. Constitution Annotated (FindLaw.com)
- National Archives - Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, U.S. Constitution.
- Constitute - The world's constitutions to read, search, and compare.
- U.S. Code
- THOMAS: Bill Search and Texts (1989/101st Congress to present)
- U.S. Government Printing Office, Federal Digital System - search Code of Federal Regulations, Federal Register, Congressional Documents and more.
Law - History and Primary Sources
- Avalon Project - Yale - 3,500+ primary source documents, historic & current.