Career Online High School
Earn Your Diploma
Have you always wanted to earn your high school diploma?
Do traditional school classes not work with your schedule?
Now you have the chance to earn your high school diploma plus a career certificate for free!
San José Public Library’s Career Online High School (COHS) offers adults the opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma and a career certificate. You can advance in your career or pursue higher education once you graduate. The Library supports you from enrollment to graduation so that you can achieve your goals.
The Library is offering a limited number of free scholarships to qualified adults. Learn more about the program, process, and courses.
- Be age 19 or older
- Live in San José
- Have completed the 8th grade
- Have a San José Public Library card in good standing
- Be willing to spend at least 10 hours a week on coursework
- Be comfortable reading, writing, and speaking in English
- Be comfortable using technology
- Be comfortable learning independently
- Must complete 36 semesters (see Graduation Requirements).
- Must complete program in 18 months or less.
- May transfer previous credits from accredited high school courses, which can shorten completion time. This is optional.
- Earn both your high school diploma and a career certificate in one of ten high-growth fields.
- Courses are taught 100% online, and are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Students are paired with an academic coach.
How to Enroll
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions about Career Online High School.
- Take the online survey to see if Career Online High School is a good match for you.
- A staff member will contact all eligible applicants to do a phone screening.
- Prospective students will then enroll in a one-semester prerequisite career course.
- You must complete the prerequisite course within 14 days.
- Once you complete the prerequisite course, a staff member will contact you to schedule an in-person interview at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library .
- Attend a online group orientation to learn skills for success and other available resources.
- Complete probation period in 30 days to keep your scholarship.
- After probation, students must complete at least two semesters every month until graduation.
- Interviews and scholarships are given on a first-come, first-qualified basis. Enrollment is limited and demand is high. You may be placed on a wait list until more scholarships are available.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Career Online High School is made possible with the support of the California State Library and the San José Public Library Foundation.