Here are some recommended resources and classes available to Partners in Reading (PAR) Learners. Use these tools to improve reading, writing, and conversation skills. We suggest using some of these resources together with your PAR tutoring sessions!
Many of these resources are only available to PAR learners. If you are not currently a PAR Learner, find out how to become one.
Learn on Your Own
- Lexia Core5 - Work on spelling skills with this online program. Contact PAR for a free account!
- Khan Academy - Free classes in different subjects
- LearningExpress Library - Sign up for free with your library card
- DigitalLearn.org – Watch short videos on computer basics
- GCFLearnFree.org – Learn about computer basics, social media, Microsoft Office and more... Includes a lesson on browser basics.
- SJPL Digital Literacy Course - Free lessons on computer basics
- PAR Wordwall Games
- News For You - Online newspaper for adult learners. Able to listen to the news. Contact PAR staff for the password.
- CommonLit - Short Stories for every reading level. Contact PAR staff for a free account.
- The Change Agent - Magazine for adult learners. Contact PAR staff for the password.
- Quick Reads books - Books for adults at every reading level. Find these books at these libraries:
- Oxford Bookworms Collection - Books for adults at every reading level. Some Oxford Bookworms also have matching audiobooks to listen to.
- Britannica Dictionary - clear and simple definitions in American English with examples. Able to hear the words.
- Cambridge Learner’s Dictionary - includes common sayings, grammar, English-Spanish and Spanish-English translations
- Thesaurus.com - find similar words and improve vocabulary
- Google Translate - language translator website
- Goodwill Community Foundation (GCF) - picture and video lessons about English grammar and punctuation
- GrammarBook.com - learn English grammar rules and take quizzes
- Tutor.com - Get homework or job search help from a tutor. Sign up for free with your library card!