What Is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook functions like a laptop and runs on the Google operating system, Chrome OS. It has cloud storage and built-in Google apps. A Chromebook is best used with a reliable Wi-Fi (wifi) connection.
|Chromebook||Filtered (Youth) Chromebook|
|Brand||HP Chromebook||Samsung Chromebook Go|
|Screen Size||11-inch screen||14-inch screen|
You need internet or Wi-Fi (wifi) to get online. If you don't have internet we have free options to help you get online.
You can get online for free by using this Chromebook's built-in 4G network.
What Is a Web Filter?
A web filter is designed to restrict which websites users can visit. There are a few more things to know about web filters:
- The intent is to block websites considered threatening or harmful.
- Web filters are not perfect. They can't block all threatening and harmful websites. They may block access to legitimate research sites.
- Web filters do not protect users from cyber bullying, financial crimes, computer viruses, or other illegal activities.
Learn more about protecting yourself and others online with our Virtual Privacy Lab.
How to Borrow a Chromebook
- STEP 1: Find a Chromebook at your chosen library location and request it:
- STEP 2: Wait to be notified by email or phone once your Chromebook is ready for pickup.
- STEP 3: When you arrive at the library, let a staff member know you are picking up your Chromebook.
- STEP 4: When you pick up your Chromebook, you will fill out an intake form and survey. This will take 5-10 minutes to complete. Staff will also review the Device Policy and User Agreement before you sign the document. Here is the agreement if you want to look at it before picking up your Chromebook: English | Español | Tiếng Việt.
- The checkout period is 90 days with one auto renewal of 30 days if there are no other requests on the item.
- Library members ages 17 and under need to be accompanied by an adult to pick up their Chromebook.
- Unfiltered Chromebooks need to be used with an internet connection. Need Wi-Fi (wifi)? Request a Wi-Fi (wifi) hotspot.
- Filtered (Youth) Chromebooks are already connected to the internet.
- In guest mode on unfiltered Chromebooks, Digital Literacy curriculum is available. These are free, self-paced computer classes. They cover how to use the internet, laptops, and more. You can also take these classes from other devices.
How to Return Your Chromebook
- Hand your device to a staff member.
- Do not return your Chromebook in the book drop.
Before visiting an SJPL location, please review our Safety Guidelines.