San José Downtown Wi-Fi
If you are at certain strategic corridors within the San José Downtown area, you can connect to the free, open Downtown San José high-speed public Wi-Fi network.
Connecting Your Devices
Search for “Access SJ Downtown” in your device’s wireless network options (select the Learn more about your data privacy.)icon on your device). Most recent laptops, tablets and smart phones are wireless-enabled. (
Thank you for using the San José Downtown Wi-Fi. Our goal is to give residents and visitors an enjoyable online service. Please keep in mind that:
- Within the strategic corridors indicated by green lines in the coverage map, there would be a strong signal strength, allowing for a higher bandwidth - weaker coverage may exist in some areas due to streetscape and interference.
- User experience will vary depending upon the client device (phone, tablet, laptop) and distance from Wi-Fi Access Point.
- Frequencies used are unlicensed so interference from neighboring networks and other radio sources may occur and impact your service.
- This Free Wi-Fi network was designed for outdoor coverage - indoor connectivity is not guaranteed.
- Bandwidth and Internet usage is a free and shared service. There could be delays in downloading large files, especially during high-use periods of the day.
Learn more about SJ Access, the City’s digital inclusion initiative.
For questions about San José Downtown Free Public Wi-Fi Service and it’s future expansion, please contact:
Enterprise Supervisor Technology Analyst
Information Technology Department