What is an iPad?
iPads are tablets. Tablet computers—or tablets—are handheld computers that are even more portable than laptops. Instead of a keyboard and mouse, tablets use a touch-sensitive screen for typing and navigation.
Although you can just use the touchscreen keyboard, our iPads come with an attachable keyboard.
How to Borrow an iPad
- STEP 1: Request an iPad.
- STEP 2: Wait to be notified by email or phone once your iPad is ready for pickup.
- STEP 3: When you arrive at the library, let a staff member know you are picking up your iPad.
- STEP 4: When you pick up the iPad, you will fill out an intake form and survey. This will take 5-10 minutes to complete. Staff will also review the Device Policy and User Agreement before you sign the document. Here is the agreement if you want to look at it before picking up your iPad: English | Español | Tiếng Việt.
- Physical Library Card: If you have an eLibrary Card, you will need to convert it to one of our physical library cards. You need a physical library card account to check out devices. You can get your card by visiting any of our 25 library locations. To get your physical card, bring a valid photo ID and proof of address with you. Our library staff can also help you get your device.
- Checkout Period: The checkout period is 90 days with one auto renewal of 30 days if there are no other requests on the item.
- Ages 17 and Under: Library members ages 17 and under need to be accompanied by an adult to pick up their iPad.
- Holds Limit: Each member is limited to 2 holds for all SJ Access Devices. This includes hotspots, Chromebooks, iPads, and laptops.
- Internet Connection: iPads work best with an internet connection. Need Wi-Fi? Request a hotspot.
- Digital Literacy Training: These iPads come with Digital Literacy and Code@Home curriculum. They are free, self-paced computer classes. Digital Literacy classes cover how to use the internet, laptops, and more. Code@Home classes cover how to code.
How to Return Your iPad
- Hand your device to a staff member.
- Do not return your iPad in the book drop.
Before visiting an SJPL location, please review our Safety Guidelines.