What is a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
A portable Wi-Fi hotspot is a pocket-sized mobile device. It uses Wi-Fi to help you connect your devices to the internet without having to plug into anything. Examples of devices you could use with a Wi-Fi hotspot are Chromebooks, iPads and other tablets, laptops, and smartphones. More about hotspots.
How to Borrow a Wi-Fi Hotspot
- STEP 1: Find a hotspot at your chosen library location and request it.
- STEP 2: Wait to be notified by email or phone once your hotspot is ready for pickup.
- STEP 3: Picking up your hotspot:
- Reopened Locations: When you arrive at one of our reopened branches, let a staff member know you are picking up your hotspot.
- Express Pickup Location (King Library): If you are picking up your hotspot at King Library, call 408-808-2034 when you are outside.
- STEP 4: Staff will review the Device Policy and User Agreement before you sign the document. Here is the agreement if you want to look at it before picking up your hotspot: English | Español | Tiếng Việt
- The checkout period is 90 days with one auto renewal of 30 days if there are no other requests on the item.
- Library members ages 17 and under need to be accompanied by an adult to pick up their hotspot.
How to Return Your Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Hand your device to a staff member. If you are returning at King Library, call 408-808-2304. Someone will come out to accept your return.
- Do not return your hotspot in the book drop.
More about Hotspots
- AT&T is the internet service provider for these hotspots. This is the company that makes the internet on your hotspot work.
- You can connect up to 15 devices on these hotspots.
- As more devices connect to the hotspot, the internet speed could slow down.
- One hotspot can be checked out on a library card at a time.
Before visiting an SJPL location, please review our Safety Guidelines.
- Setup Guide (1.3 MB PDF)
- Device Policy and User Agreement (PDF): English | Español | Tiếng Việt
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Call 408-808-2000, Monday – Saturday from 11 AM – 6 PM.
- Chat with us 7 days a week.