What is a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
A portable Wi-Fi hotspot is a pocket-sized mobile device. It uses Wi-Fi to help you connect your devices to the internet without having to plug into anything. Examples of devices you could use with a Wi-Fi hotspot are Chromebooks, iPads and other tablets, laptops, and smartphones. More about hotspots.
What is a web filter?
A web filter is designed to restrict what websites users can visit. There are a few more things to know about web filters:
- The intent is to block websites considered threatening or harmful.
- Web filters are not perfect. They can't block all threatening and harmful websites. They may block access to legitimate research sites.
- Web filters do not protect users from cyber bullying, financial crimes, computer viruses, or other illegal activities.
Learn more about protecting yourself and others online with our Virtual Privacy Lab.
How to Borrow a Wi-Fi Hotspot
- STEP 1: Find a hotspot at your chosen library location and request it.
- STEP 2: Wait to be notified by email or phone once your hotspot is ready for pickup.
- STEP 3: When you arrive at the library, let a staff member know you are picking up your hotspot.
- STEP 4: Staff will review the Device Policy and User Agreement before you sign the document. Here is the agreement if you want to look at it before picking up your hotspot: English | Español | Tiếng Việt
- The checkout period is 90 days with one auto renewal of 30 days if there are no other requests on the item.
- Library members ages 17 and under need to be accompanied by an adult to pick up their hotspot.
How to Return Your Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Hand your device to a staff member.
- Do not return your hotspot in the book drop.
More about Hotspots
- AT&T is the internet service provider for both types of hotspots. This is the company that makes the internet on the hotspots work.
- You can connect up to 15 devices on these hotspots.
- As more devices connect to the hotspot, the internet speed could slow down.
- One hotspot can be checked out on a library card at a time.
Before visiting an SJPL location, please review our Safety Guidelines.
- Setup Guide (1.3 MB PDF)
- Device Policy and User Agreement (PDF): English | Español | Tiếng Việt
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Call 408-808-2000, Monday – Saturday from 11 AM – 6 PM.
- Chat with us 7 days a week.