What is a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
A portable Wi-Fi hotspot is a pocket-sized mobile device. It uses Wi-Fi to help you connect your devices to the internet without having to plug into anything. Examples of devices you could use with a Wi-Fi hotspot are Chromebooks, iPads and other tablets, laptops, and smartphones. More about hotspots.
How to Borrow a Wi-Fi Hotspot
- STEP 1: Find a Hotspot at your chosen library location and request it.
- STEP 2: Wait to be notified by email or phone once your Hotspot is ready for pickup.
- STEP 3: Book an Express Pickup appointment to pick it up.
- STEP 4: If you haven't read the policy and user agreement, library staff will go over this with you before you sign it. Here is the agreement for your review: English | Spanish | Vietnamese
- The checkout period is 90 days with one auto renewal of 30 days if there are no other requests on the item.
- Library members ages 17 and under need to be accompanied by an adult to pick up their hotspot.
How to Return Your Wi-Fi Hotspot
- To return your Hotspot, you need to book an Express Pickup appointment, available Monday – Saturday, 1 – 6 PM.
- Do not return your Hotspot in the book drop.
More about Hotspots
- AT&T is the internet service provider for these hotspots. This is the company that makes the internet on your hotspot work.
- You can connect up to 15 devices on these hotspots.
- As more devices connect to the hotspot, the internet speed could slow down.
- One hotspot can be checked out on a library card at a time.
Before visiting an SJPL location, please review our Safety Guidelines.
- Setup Guide (1.3 MB PDF)
- Device Policy and User Agreement PDF: English | Spanish | Vietnamese
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Email us at TechHelp@sjlibary.org.
- Call 408-808-2000, Monday – Saturday from 11 AM – 6 PM.
- Chat with a library staff member 7 days a week.