What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook functions like a laptop and runs on the Google operating system, Chrome OS. It has cloud storage and built-in Google apps. A Chromebook is best used with a reliable Wi-Fi connection. Learn more about these Chromebooks
How to Borrow a Chromebook
- STEP 1: Find a Chromebook at your chosen library location and request it.
- STEP 2: Wait to be notified by email or phone once your Chromebook is ready for pickup.
- STEP 3: Book an Express Pickup appointment to pick it up.
- STEP 4: During your appointment, you will fill out an intake form and survey. This will take 5-10 minutes to complete. Staff will also review the Device Policy and User Agreement before you sign the document. Here is the agreement if you want to look at it before your appointment: English | Spanish | Vietnamese.
- The checkout period is 90 days with one auto renewal of 30 days if there are no other requests on the item.
- Library members ages 17 and under need to be accompanied by an adult to pick up their Chromebook.
How to Return Your Chromebook
- To return your Chromebook, you need to book an Express Pickup appointment, available Monday – Saturday, 1 – 6 PM.
- During your appointment, you will fill out a post-checkout survey. This will take about 5 minutes to complete.
- Do not return your Chromebook in the book drop.
More about Chromebooks
- Chromebooks need to be used with an internet connection. Need Wi-Fi? Request a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- You need to use a cloud-based platform to save documents and media.
- You can log in with your Google account and have access to or download Google apps within your own Google Play Store. Anything you save should sync with your Google account, although this cannot be guaranteed.
- If you don't have a cloud account, you may find Google Drive works the best with this device. To save documents to Google Drive, you will need to get a Google account. The Chromebook will walk you through this process.
- You can use this Chromebook to search the internet as a "guest user". That means you don't need to have an account. Anything done as a "guest user" will not be saved at the end of a session.
- If you are logging in as "guest user," you will see a warning that says San José Public Library has access to everything you do. This is NOT true. We do not have access to what you do.
- You may not be able to access documents from a flash drive.
- These Chromebooks come with Digital Literacy curriculum. These are free, self-paced computer classes. They cover how to use the internet, laptops, and more.
- Your Chromebook will be wiped clean when returned.
- You can log into your Google account. However, apps purchased or data downloaded will be wiped out when you return the Chromebook.
- SJPL is not responsible for apps, music, or data purchased and stored on borrowed devices.
Before visiting an SJPL location, please review our Safety Guidelines.