eResources from the California State Library
San José Public Library is excited to announce new and continuing access to several eResources to help you build job skills and advance your career!
Coursera’s mission is to help individuals build the skills they need for in-demand jobs.
- Provides learners with access to more than 5,000 courses and certifications led by top businesses, universities, and organizations.
- Courses include: English for Business and Entrepreneurship (ESL), Foundations of Public Health Practice, Become an EMT, Bookkeeping Basics, Introduction to Google Docs, Design a Restaurant Menu, Food and Beverage Management, Branding: The Creative Journey.
- Contains “Gateway Certification,” a program for people without a college degree and with no experience in the field, built by leading companies such as Google. Facebook, and Salesforce.
- Offers subtitles in more than 50 languages
GetSetUp – NEW!
GetSetUp Is a social learning platform for individuals 50+, taught by peers who are experts in their field.
- Hosts live classes covering digital learning, physical health, mental health, social health, and vocational health.
- Courses include: Introduction to Youtube, Get Started with Zoom, Common Scams and Frauds, Being the Best Grandparent Ever, Android Smartphone Security and Safety, TV Streaming Devices, Blue Zones – What Are They?
- Offers live classes, social hours hosted by community members, and special events with speakers who directly address areas of interest to older adults.
- Classes are taught in English, Spanish, Hindi and Mandarin.
Job & Career Accelerator is an easy-to-use search tool with everything patrons and students need to find, apply for, and get hired into ideal positions.
- Provides tools to create professional and competitive resumes and cover letters.
- Features job and internship search engines matched to the user’s profile and needs.
- Offers professional interview preparation and practice tools.
- Includes occupation explorers to find the profession that suits the user’s wants and directs to the skills needed for chosen professions.
- Contains college and scholarship finders.
HelpNow – NEW!
Through HelpNow, live real-time homework assistance is available 24 hours a day by laptop, tablet, or phone from qualified tutors using state curriculum and standards.
24/7 assistance is available in English and Spanish for Language Arts and Mathematics.
Every day between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, assistance is available in core K-12 subjects in the following languages:
Tutors can provide a virtual whiteboard, conduct live audio interactions with students, and work with learners on a wide range of concepts. Students are expected to work through the content and learn from the feedback. Tutors do not provide answers — they provide guidance and help. Tutoring sessions may be monitored for completeness and pedagogical effectiveness. All tutors have passed background checks and possess, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree.
LearningExpress Library Complete supports those looking to obtain occupational certification, prepare for college, find a job, become a U.S. citizen, and much more.
- Assists in professional exam preparation, including the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST), California Real Estate Salesperson exam, and the California Police Officer Exam.
- Courses include: Exam prep in plumbing, air traffic control, law enforcement, EMT, firefighter, nursing, teaching, adult education in Spanish, college placement exam prep.
- Supplies tools for earning a high school equivalency diploma in California.
LinkedIn Learning focuses on the skills needed to land the most sought after jobs.
- Provides professional certificates that can be added to a LinkedIn profile
- Courses include: Pitching Yourself, Expert Tips for Answering Common Interview Questions, New Revenue Ideas for Food and Beverage Businesses, Construction Management: Technology on the Job Site
- Includes a concentration on the “whole” person, emphasizing mental health and wellness resources, guidance for managing stress/burnout, and other items like “Balancing Work and Life as a Work-from-Home Parent”.
- Contains critical soft skills training, such as resilience, team work, and time management.
- Offers courses in English, Spanish, Mandarin, and four other languages.
Northstar focuses on people with no, low, or limited technology skills.
- Build skills in key digital literacy areas and demonstrate knowledge by earning certificates and badges.
- Courses include: Your Digital Footprint, Supporting K-12 Distance Learning, Email, Internet Basics, Information Literacy
- Defines the basic skills needed to use a computer and the internet in daily life, employment, and higher education.
- Online, self-guided assessments measure mastery of basic skills in 14 areas.
- Classroom curricula provide detailed lesson plans for teachers, and can be used remotely or in person.
VetNow is an all-in-one suite of services designed for a wide range of career and veteran needs.
- Has access to live help and links for Navigating the Veterans Affairs system.
- Navigators help veterans and their families understand and apply for the benefits they are eligible for from local, state, or federal programs.
- Houses resources to support adjusting from military to a civilian career.
- Helps veterans and their families prepare for college with a suite of academic tools. Live online tutoring in a variety of college level subjects is available, along with writing support, extensive video lessons, and comprehensive practice tests.
These resources are available thanks to funding provided by the State of California, administered by the California State Library.