If you are a teacher or educator, there is a wealth of free resources for you to use at the library!
- signing up for unique library services for schools
- lesson plans
- resources for students
Most importantly, you are eligible for an Educator Library Card, a unique library card that is only available to teachers and educators!
Follow the Educator Library Card link above, and you can immediately sign up for this unique card that you can use in addition to your regular library card.
Generally, the application for this card differs from our regular application in that it asks for your school-affiliated email address and for your grade or school title.
The Educator Library Card also differs from our regular card in terms of checkout period, holds limit, fines, and card expiration. See below for further details from our website:
- Who's Eligible? Adults (18+) who work for a preschool or K-12 school (public, charter, private) that is located in the city of San José.
- What Can I Check Out? Most physical items (except Interlibrary loans and kits). eBooks and other Online Resources with the exception of Discover & Go.
- Item Checkout Limit: 100 physical items, including up to 30 DVDs. Electronic items vary based on vendor.
- Checkout Period: 6 weeks with 1 renewal for an additional 6 weeks (automatic renewals unless there are outstanding holds)
- Item Holds Limit: 30 physical items. Electronic items vary based on vendor. Ask for staff assistance to request multiple copies of the same title or certain items that are normally non-requestable (such as Easy Readers).
- Fines: There are no fines on all overdue materials, but you will be responsible for lost or damaged items. Please note that items checked out on the Educator’s Card are for use in the classroom, not for personal use.
- Card Expiration: June 30, each year
Unique Library Services With a Sign-Up:
- Virtual Class Visit - If you prefer to visit the library virtually, you may sign up for a 30 minute virtual visit in which a librarian will show your class “library e-resources and a library card overview.” Simply fill out the form and you will hear back from us within two weeks!
- Maker[Space]Ship - Our Maker[Space]Ship is basically a STEM-based rocketship! You and your class will be able to utilize a 3D printer, cutters, a “robot petting zoo”, and a “suite of laptops.” You can either request a visit for your classroom or you can propose a program that you can share with the community! This program is funded by the San Jose Public Library Foundation.
If you need to revitalize your lesson plans, you have access to free lesson plans on a variety of subjects:
If you need ideas for your students’ reading lists, try Novelist K-8 Plus.
You can find printable lesson plans at Scholastic Teachables.
In addition, you will find student resources on the Library's site!
Student Resources to Share
- Borrow up to 5 items
- Request up to 5 items
- No late fines on overdue materials
- Use of all eResources
- Parents or family members may not use the card, but instead are encouraged to sign up for their own free library card
In addition, students may click on Student Help for the following resources:
- Homework Help - Online Resources
- Virtual Homework Club
- Test Prep (standardized tests)
- Wifi Hotspots for San Jose Students
If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments below!