Interlibrary Services / ILLiad
With a San Jose Public Library Card, you can create an ILLiad account to request items from libraries worldwide for free, including: books, microfilm, articles (paper or electronic copies), theses, dissertations, and conference proceedings.
Before You Make a Request
- You can request items only if they are not owned by San José Public Libraries.
- Make sure to first check our Library Catalog to see if we have a copy of the title you need.
- If an item we own appears to be missing, report it to library staff or call 1-408-808-2000. You can then submit an ILLiad request.
- Books can usually be obtained quicker through Link+ than through ILLiad
Cost: Most requests are free. However, some libraries do charge fees to lend their items. If this is the only option available, we will contact you in advance to see if you are willing to pay the fee.
Maximum Requests: Unlimited
Loan Period: The loan period is set by the lending library, usually about 3 weeks. Additionally:
- There is no grace period on due dates.
- You have to abide by any additional restrictions placed on the use of the item (such as "In-library use only")
- Photocopies of articles are yours to keep
Late Fee: $1.00 per item per day
Lost or Damaged Items: You will be charged for any lost or damaged items.
Pick-Ups, Returns and Renewals
Delivery Time: Items are usually received in 7 to 10 days but may take longer. Keep in mind:
- We make every effort to get your item in the shortest time possible.
- There is no guarantee that your request can be located.
- We cannot accept requests with deadlines.
Pick-Up Notification: You will be notified by email or phone when your request arrives. You can also login to your ILLiad account to monitor the progress of each request online.
Where to Pick Up:
- Articles: Photocopies will be mailed or faxed to you. Electronic Delivery is also available.
- Books and other items: Pick up at the delivery location you chose when you registered for ILLiad.
Returns: You need to return any item borrowed through ILLiad in person to the desk at any library location. Please do not put ILLiad items in the book drop.
Renewals: Renewals are sometimes available. You can handle these renewals online through your ILLiad account.