What is ILLiad?
With ILLiad, our interlibrary loan service, you can request a variety of items from libraries across the continental United States — all at no cost to you. Expand your world with our interlibrary loan service and let your curiosity roam free and far beyond our collection.
How It Works
- Eligibility: Simply have a Full Access San José Public Library Card.
- Access: Create an ILLiad account to start requesting.
- Available Items: Request books, articles, CDs, and DVDs. For materials from San José State University, use ILLiad to have them delivered to your preferred Public Library branch.
Note: Certain items like microfilm, microfiche, and reference materials are not available for loan.
Before You Make a Request
- Make sure to first check our Library Catalog to see if we have a copy of the title you need.
- If an item we own appears to be missing, report it to library staff or call 1-408-808-2000. You can then submit an ILLiad request.
- Know that items borrowed through interlibrary loan can typically be obtained quicker through Link+ than through ILLiad.
Finding Items to Request
Use the WorldCat online tool to search the holdings of libraries worldwide.
If you find an item in WorldCat, use the information you find there when submitting your ILLiad request. This will help us get you your item much, much faster.
- Cost: Most interlibrary requests are free. However, some libraries do charge fees to lend their items. We are unable to request items from these libraries.
- Maximum Requests: Unlimited
- Loan Period: The loan period is set by the lending library, which is typically about 3 weeks. Additionally:
- There is no grace period on due dates.
- You have to abide by any additional restrictions placed on the use of the item (such as "In-library use only")
- Photocopies of articles are yours to keep
- Late Fee: $1.00 per item per day
- Lost or Damaged Items: You will be charged for any lost or damaged items.
Pickups, Returns, and Renewals
- Delivery Time: Items are typically received in 2 weeks. Please keep in mind:
- We make every effort to get your item in the shortest time possible.
- There is no guarantee that your request can be located.
- We cannot accept requests with deadlines.
- Pick-Up Notifications: You will be notified by email or phone when your request arrives. You can also login to your ILLiad account to monitor the progress of each request online.
- Where to Pick Up Books and Other Items: Pick up your items at the delivery location you chose when you registered for ILLiad. Items are held behind the desk. At the checkout desk, you will need to provide a picture ID to check out your interlibrary loan item.
- Returns: You need to return any item borrowed through ILLiad in person to the desk at any library location. Please do not put ILLiad items in the book drop.
- Renewals: Renewals are sometimes available. You can handle these renewals online through your ILLiad account.
Interlibrary Services Help
For assistance with ILLiad, please email email@example.com, or call Interlibrary Services at 408-808-2073 to leave a message for a staff member to reach you.