Current Link+ Guidelines
- Library Card: You need a Full Access library card to use Link+. Temporary and eLibrary cards can't use this service.
- Late Fees: The $1 per day late fees will not be charged.
- Returning Items: During our limited services period, we will accept LINK+ returns in the book drops.
For additional questions, please contact library staff at 408-808-2000, Monday – Saturday from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
What is LINK+
- What Can Be Requested: Items that are:
- Not in the library's collection, or
- Not currently available at an SJPL branch library or the King Library.
- If You Have Fines or Fees on Your Account: If the fees on your account exceed $20 you will not be able to request materials through Link+.
- Loan Period: 21 days, with no grace period on the due date.
- Renewals: One 3-week renewal, unless someone has requested the item at its home library. When you renew a Link+ item, there is a 15 minute confirmation delay online.
- Late Fee: $1.00 per item per day. $15 per item, maximum. NOTE: During the COVID-19 limited services reopening period, late fees will be waived. You will still be responsible for any fees accrued before the COVID-19 closure.
- Replacement Fee: $115 per item.
- Maximum items: You can have unlimited Link+ items checked out, but only the normal amount of requests of any kind pending at one time.
How to Request
- Locate an item in Link+
- Scroll to the bottom to view libraries that have copies
- Make sure at least 1 copy is AVAILABLE
- Click the "Request It" button
- Pick "San José Public" as the institution you are affiliated with
- Enter your name, library card number, and PIN
- Choose one of our libraries as your "Pickup Location"
Pick-Ups & Returns
- Delivery and Holding Periods: Link+ items may be ready for you to pick up as quickly as 3 business days after your request. The library will hold your items for 7 days and will automatically return items to their home library if you don't pick them up by the end of the 7th day.
- Monitor Your Request: Log in to your library account to monitor the status of your Link+ request. Link+ requests are included under "Holds" along with any regular requests from San José libraries.
- Pick-Up Notification: When Link+ request status shows Link+ RECEIVE in your library account, the item is ready for pick-up. The library also sends you pick-up notices by email or phone, depending on your account settings.
- Where To Pick Up: Pick up Link+ items at your chosen branch or at the Circulation Desk of the King Library.
- Returns: During our limited services period we will accept Link+ returns in the book drops.
Visiting Other Link+ Libraries
We participate in the Link+ Visiting Patron Program:
- You can visit other participating Visiting Patron Link+ libraries in person and check out their items using your San José library card.
- You can borrow items for the same period of time as a regular Link+ loan.
- When checking out items as a Visiting Patron, please have both your Library Card and ID ready.
If you are a member of another Link+ library that participates in the program, you can also use your card at the King Library, though we encourage you to obtain a San José Library Card.
More Options (Currently Unavailable During COVID-19 Limited Services)
Can't find the item through Link+, the fastest way to access items that aren't in our collection? Here are more ways to find and access items that aren't in our collection: