- America Learns - search the national strategies database and complete volunteer reports. Volunteer log-in required, must be registered by PAR staff.
- PAR Tutoring Videos on YouTube
- ProLiteracy Education Network for PAR - Volunteer log-in required, must be registered by PAR staff.
- ProLiteracy Handouts for PAR
- 15 Tutoring Tips
- 10 Ways to Teach Writing
Curriculum and Supplemental Material
- PAR CORE Lesson Plan
- PAR Wilson Lesson Plan
- News For You - A weekly newspaper written for adult learners with puzzles, vocabulary definitions, and a teacher's guide. Ask PAR staff for the password. Paper copies are also available from the PAR office for PAR learners and tutors.
- CommonLit - Short stories organized by reading level with teacher guides and activities. Ask PAR staff to make you and your learner an account.
- The Change Agent - Magazine for adult educators and learners. Ask PAR staff for the password.
Roles and Goals
Goal-setting is an important part of the tutoring process and helps motivate learners to take charge of their learning processes. "Roles and Goals" are goals set by the California Library Literacy Services (CLLS) program. The California State Library has identified a number of common learner goals and grouped them under 4 main "Roles": Goals as a Lifelong Learner, Goals as a Worker, Goals as a Family Member, and Goals as a Community Member.
Roles and Goals should be discussed regularly with learners to help focus tutoring sessions. Use the resources below to create lesson plans that help learners meet those goals.
Each month on your America Learns reports, PAR will ask you to report on goals that were set, goals that are in progress, and goals that have been met or dropped.
Engaging Tools for Tutoring
- Kahoot - Create fun quiz games to accompany your lessons. Tutor needs an account to make quiz games.
- Puzzlemaker - Create and print customized word search, criss-cross, math puzzles, and more using your own word lists.
- Quizlet - Flashcard maker.
- Teacher's Corner - Worksheet maker.