My Results: What Is Online Privacy?
Learn About Online Privacy
Educate yourself about how online privacy works, what protections you have and don't have, and what tools and techniques you can use to better maintain your privacy. Then share that information with family and friends.
- Investigate things you can do today to protect your online privacy: 66 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Right Now
As you look through the topics in this Virtual Privacy Lab, think about what privacy means to you. Start with the topics you find most important and interesting. At the end of each section, decide which actions you want to take and use the resources to help you bring your online information sharing in line with your preferences about privacy.
Resources to Learn More About the Topic
What Privacy Means
- Introduction to Multiple Perspectives on Privacy: Defining Privacy
- Opinion Piece on Why (Online) Privacy Is Important: Why Does Privacy Matter? One Scholar's Answer
- Philosophical Piece on How People Think About Privacy: What Is Privacy?
- Why Privacy Matters: Glenn Greenwald TEDtalk
- What will a future without secrets look like?: Alessandro Acquisti TEDtalk
Costs and Benefits
- Book Chapter on How and Why So Much of Our Information Is Online, and What the Implications Are: Blown to Bits, Chapter 2: Privacy Lost, Privacy Abandoned (pdf)
- When Your Data Is Currency, What Does Your Privacy Cost?