Learn on Your Own
- Lexia Core5 - Work on spelling skills with this online program. Contact PAR for a free account!
- Khan Academy - Free classes in different subjects
- LearningExpress Library - Sign up for free with your library card
- DigitalLearn.org – Watch short videos on computer basics
- GCFLearnFree.org – Learn about computer basics, social media, Microsoft Office and more... Includes a lesson on browser basics.
- SJPL Digital Literacy Course - Free lessons on computer basics
- News For You - Online newspaper for adult learners. Able to listen to the news. Contact PAR staff for the password.
- CommonLit - Short Stories for every reading level. Contact PAR staff for a free account.
- The Change Agent - Magazine for adult learners. Contact PAR staff for the password.
- Quick Reads books - Books for adults at every reading level. Find these books at these libraries:
- Oxford Bookworms - Books for adults at every reading level. Some Oxford Bookworms also have matching audiobooks to listen to. Check out the Oxford Bookworms collection.
- Britannica Dictionary - clear and simple definitions in American English with examples. Able to hear the words.
- Cambridge Learner’s Dictionary - includes common sayings, grammar, English-Spanish and Spanish-English translations
- Thesaurus.com - find similar words and improve vocabulary
- Google Translate - language translator website
- Goodwill Community Foundation (GCF) - picture and video lessons about English grammar and punctuation
- GrammarBook.com - learn English grammar rules and take quizzes
- Tutor.com - Get homework or job search help from a tutor. Sign up for free with your library card!
PAR Weekly Classes
PAR offers weekly online classes over Zoom to PAR learners. If you are interested in joining a class, call 1-408-808-2361 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom invitation.
- PAR Explore and Learn - For learners at a low-intermediate reading level. Read and discuss a story in a small group over Zoom.
- Good News Class - For learners at a high-beginning reading level. Read and listen to good news stories from News For You in a small group over Zoom.
- Have You Ever Wondered...? - For learners of all levels to attend alone or together with their tutors. Learn history about fun subjects like hairstyles, flags, or San Jose landmarks. Practice English conversation in a small group over Zoom.
- PAR Group Chats - For intermediate-level English learners in PAR. Practice English conversation in a small group over Zoom.
- Fun With History - For learners at a high-beginning reading level. Practice English comprehension and conversation using TedEd videos about history in a small group over Zoom.