Children with Special Needs Resources
Questions About Diagnosis
- California Department of Developmental Services
- Local School Districts - Your local school district assists children aged 3 and over. An Individual Educational Plan (IEP) will be created.
- Pediatric Neurologist - If you are uncertain about your child’s diagnosis, a pediatric neurologist may be able to assist you in determining your child’s condition.
Resources for Parents
- Parents Helping Parents of Children with Special Needs, Santa Clara, CA - Provides a wealth of services to families of children with special needs including education, community and family services, and health-related services.
- Book Lists and Book Reviews on Special Needs Children - Book topics include ADHD, adoption, allergies, asthma, autism, cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, premature babies, seizures, speech, language and visual impairment.
- Children's Disability Lists of Lists - Annotated list of Support Groups for families of children with disabilities and special needs. Needs covered include ADD/ADHD, adoption, allergies, asthma, birth defects and down syndrome.
- First 5 Santa Clara County - Resources for parents of children with special needs. Listings include different agencies such as: parent-support sites, specific illnesses, inclusion, early childhood intervention, services, and reading aloud sites.
- Inclusion Warm Line - A free support, information and referral service regarding the inclusion of children with special needs and disabilities in our community.
- Special Education Law and Advocacy for Children with Disabilities — Wrightslaw - Includes such topics as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004), No Child Left Behind, autism, etc.
Social Activities for Children
- The City of San José’s Parks and Recreation Department’s Therapeutic Services Program - Provides access to all in sports, recreation, and mental health programs.
- Autism Speaks - Lists programs in California that provide social activities for children with autism.
- Community Gatepath of Northern California - Helps individuals achieve personal goals and live full and productive lives. Located in Redwood City, this organization has many activities for kids with special needs in the South Bay and Peninsula.
Resources for Teens
- Resources for Minors - A list of government and non-profit agencies that help teenagers, children and families