Hey, future entrepreneurs! Have you ever thought about starting your own business or becoming a problem-solver in your community? The 2024 Winter WeThrive High School Entrepreneur Camp is just the place to transform that idea into a reality. It's not about lectures; it's about taking action and making your ideas come alive. And it's happening at the downtown Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library's TeenHQ.
Who Can Register
High Schoolers, It's Your Time to Shine!
Freshmen through Seniors — this is for all of you! You don't need to have a business idea already. Just bring your curiosity and enthusiasm.
Your First Step: Register
Sign Up and Show Up
Registration: Opens December 16, 2023, and closes January 5, 2024.
- Accepted and waitlisted participants in the camp will be notified by Friday, January 5, 2024, at 4:00 PM, with information on how to attend.
- Maximum capacity limit for the camp is 20 high school students.
- First Day: You need to show up on the first day: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 5:30–7:00 PM. It's mandatory, so make sure you're there!
- Waitlist: If you end up waitlisted, we encourage you to attend the First Day. You might be able to get a spot if there is a no-show. Be sure to register though.
What You'll Do
Create, Learn, and Market
- Create Your Business: Whether you're flying solo or in a team, you'll examine a problem that faces your community and build a business from the ground up., then promote and sell your product or service at a Pop-Up Market.
- Learn by Doing: Get hands-on experience by creating a business model and plan to solve your community problem, purchase supplies, and create your product or service.
- Market Your Idea: Cap it all off with our Pop-Up Market where you'll sell your product or service. At the end of the campl, the money you make from the Pop-Up Market will be split among members of your business.
When and Where
Register, Then Mark Your Calendars: January 9 – March 2, 2024
- Registration: December 16, 2023 – January 5, 2024
- Kickoff: January 9, 2024
- Location: TeenHQ at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
Camp Schedule (See Full Schedule for More Details):
- January: Tuesdays, 5:30–7:00 PM
- February: Tuesdays, 5:30–7:00 PM & Saturdays, 2:00–5:00 PM
Pop-Up Market: Saturday, March 2, 2:00–4:00 PM
- Setup time: 1:00 PM
- Cleanup time: 5:00 PM.
How Does It Work?
Tools, Tech, and Support
Learning Style: We've got a web and app-based platform to guide you every step of the way.
- It will walk you through lessons and guides to help you understand the ins and outs of a small business.
- As you finish lessons, you will participate in group discussions and activities to further your understanding and produce deliverables, such as a logo design and a supply order form.
- Where You'll Work: Lessons will be self-guided and reviewed outside of meetings, as homework. Other deliverables and product work may need to be completed outside of meetings as well as business group communication and collaboration. You are encouraged to work on product creation at home but are also welcome to utilize TeenHQ during scheduled meeting days and times.
- Seed Funding: Yep, you get up to $75 to start your project.
- Tech Tools: With access to TeenHQ's state-of-the-art facilities and trained staff, you're well-equipped to bring your business vision to life. We encourage you to bring your own tablet or laptop to meetings, but laptops will be available as needed to participate in group discussions and activities on-site. We will be utilizing several collaborative online platforms such as: Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Jamboard, Padlet, andCareer Village.
We're Here to Help
Thanks to Our Sponsor
Big Shoutout to the San Jose Public Library Foundation
The San José Public Library Foundation is a partner and sponsor of this program.
To request an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for library-sponsored events, please call 408-808-2355 or emailAccessibility@sjlibrary.orgat least three business days prior to the event.
Full, Tentative Camp Schedule
Tuesday, January 9, 5:30–7:00 PM: First Day Program — Introductions, Access & Set-Up
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Expectations, Vision, Passions, Social Impact, Identifying Opportunities, & Solving Real Problems
- Pre-Program Survey Lesson
- Demographic Survey
Tuesday, January 16, 5:30–7:00 PM:Social Impact, Solving Real Problems, Business Formation
- Products & Services
- Defining Your Target Audience
- Product Brainstorming by Business
- Start Supply Order Form
Tuesday, January 23, 5:30–7:00 PM:Products & Services, Defining Your Target Audience, Differentiation
- Logo Creation
- Supply Order Form
- Brainstorming Logo Ideas
Tuesday, January 30, 5:30–7:00 PM:Cost, Suppliers, Logo Creation, Business Partners
- Marketing & Outreach
- Channels of Distribution
- Pitching & Pitch Deck Creation
- Supply Order Form Submitted by Saturday, February 3, 2024
- Work on Payment Strategy
Saturday, February 3, 2:00–5:00 PM: Marketing & Outreach, Channels of Distribution, Pitch Deck Creation, MakerSpace Tour & MakerSpace Time
- Submit Logo & Business Blurb
- Determine MakerSpace Supplies
- Plan Product Creation
- Work on Pitch Deck
- Submit Payment Strategy
- Tuesday, February 6, 5:30–7:00 PM: Check-In & MakerSpace Time — As Needed
- Saturday, February 10, 2:00–5:00 PM: Check-In & MakerSpace Time — As Needed
- Tuesday, February 13, 5:30–7:00 PM: Check-In & MakerSpace Time — As Needed
- Saturday, February 17, 2:00–5:00 PM: Check-In & MakerSpace Time — As Needed
- Tuesday, February 20: NO MEETING — President's Holiday — staff unavailable
- Saturday, February 24, 2:00–5:00 PM: Check-In & MakerSpace Time — As Needed
- Tuesday, February 27, 5:30–7:00 PM: Final Check-In & MakerSpace Time — As Needed
- Saturday, March 2, 1:00-5:00 PM: Pop-Up Market (2:00-4:00 PM) at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library — TeenHQ - Mandatory