You may be tiring of your version of the banana bread. No worries!
Try these quick bread banana bread recipes. One is an old-fashioned one from my Mom, another is a healthy version (lower fat, calories, and cholesterol) and the last one is my family's favorite banana bread recipe. A warning about the last one: it is delicious but filled with calories!
Remember, for breads, be sure to sift dry ingredients together and use room temperature eggs (place eggs in warm water for a half hour to get them to room temperature.)
Mom's Old-Fashioned Banana Bread
This banana bread by my Mom has something called shortening, which is a lard product often used in pie crusts. According to Land O'Lakes, shortening "traps more air bubbles and has a higher melting point than butter, resulting in a taller and more stable product with softer and lighter interior texture."
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 to 4 ripe (not green) bananas
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat shortening in a separate bowl until creamy
- Add sugar and eggs and beat for a minute at medium speed.
- Mash bananas and add to egg mixture
- Mix until blended
- Place into a greased loaf pan and bake for 350° in pre-heated oven.
Healthy Banana Bread (125 calories a slice!)
Want a healthier version that is still moist but with less calories, fat and cholesterol? Try this version, which asks for eggs without the yolks!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 2/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Nonstick spray
- Sift the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, mix egg whites, banana, sugar and oil. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just moistened.
- Spread batter in loaf pan, sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake in pre-heated 350° oven for 45 to 50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.
Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Banana Bread
Just a Taste's version is very yummy and you can make it with either white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips, depending on your preference. FYI, my family loves the version with Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix!
- 1 16.25 oz. box white or yellow cake mix (substitute Devil's Food if you want a chocolate bread)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided (substitute white chocolate chips, if you make chocolate bread)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a bowl, mix sifted cake mix, oil, eggs, mashed bananas and sour cream until combined.
- Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. (If you are using white chocolate chips, use the entire cup, do not divide.)
- Divide batter between two pans.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter in the two pans with the rest of the 1/4 cup chocolate chips. (If you are using white chocolate chips, do not sprinkle, or chips will burn.)
- Bake the bread for 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove to wire rack until cool.
Leave a comment below if you have any questions!