Elections, Politics, and Voting Resources
Visit the following websites, selected for you by librarians, for more information on this topic.
Vote by Mail, Drop-off, & Early Voting
Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters: Get the details on voting by mail, drop-off sites, and early voting hours and locations.
Several San José Public Library locations have drop-off ballot boxes or will serve as voting centers, so you can pick up your library items at the same time!
General Election 2022
Starting October 10, Drop Boxes will be available at these library locations:
- 24-hour drop-off
- Picked up daily through Nov. 8, 2022
- Almaden Branch
- Alum Rock Branch
- Alviso Branch
- Berryessa Branch
- Biblioteca Latinoamericana Branch
- Cambrian Branch
- Edenvale Branch
- Educational Park Branch
- Evergreen Branch
- Hillview Branch
- King Library
- Pearl Avenue Branch
- Rose Garden Branch
- Seven Trees Branch
- Tully Community Branch
- Village Square Branch
- Vineland Branch
- West Valley Branch
- Willow Glen Branch
Voting Centers will open at the following library locations.
4-day voting sites (Nov 5–8)
- Nov 5 – 7, 2022, 9 AM – 5 PM
- Election Day: Nov 8, 2022, 7 AM – 8 PM
11-day voting sites (Oct 29 – Nov 8)
Voter Information Guides
- Easy Voter Guide - California – Nonpartisan information about why vote, how to vote and what’s on the ballot, in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean.
- Official Voter Information Guide for California – Candidate statements and summaries of state ballot measures with impartial analysis and potential costs, in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese.
- Smart Voter - California – Unbiased state and local voting information from the League of Women Voters includes sample ballots, candidate and ballot measure information, voter registration.
- Vote411 – Find your polling place, learn about voting procedures.
- Voter's Edge – Get in-depth information about what's on your ballot.
- CalMatters Voting Guide – Nonprofit, nonpartisan information from CalMatters, a news organization with the support of the California State Library. Available in English and Spanish.
- For Santa Clara County Residents – (408-299-8683) Register to vote, find your polling place, learn about candidates and measures, get election results – in English, Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese.
- For Other California Residents – Register to vote, find your polling place, learn about candidates and measures, get election results – in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese.
Elections - History
Elections - Statistics
- California Local and Statewide Election Ballot Lists and Results, 1997–present
- California Election Data Files, 1992–present
Political and Campaign Statements
- Fact Check – A nonpartisan, nonprofit “consumer advocate” for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics by monitoring the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players.
- PolitiFact – A fact-checking website, run by editors and reporters from the Tampa Bay Times,that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others who speak up in American politics.
Political Finance and Influence
- Cal-Access – Financial information on state candidates, donors, lobbyists.
- Open Secrets.org: The Online Source for Money in Politics – Federal campaign contributions, lobbying data and analysis.
Politics - News
- C-SPAN – Live coverage.
- Politics 1 – Campaign and party information for candidates in political races, nationwide.
- Rough and Tumble – A snapshot of California public policy and politics based on reporting from multiple publications.
- San Jose Inside Blog – behind-the-scenes coverage of local politics in Silicon Valley.