SJPL Works: Career
Find a Job
Search for a Job
- Glassdoor – Search millions of job listings, see real salaries for any job or company, and see what real employees have to say about any company
- Job-Hunt.org – Useful articles covering many aspects of careers and job hunting, links to job search sites and other resources
- Indeed.com – Find results from hundreds of job boards and company websites
- LinkedIn – Use the biggest professional social media site on the web. Create an account, post your resume, research companies, and more
- LinkUp.com – Job listings direct from company website
- Nuevoo – Job Listings
- SimplyHired.com – Searches job listings from many sites
- Snag a Job – Search over one million postings for entry-level and hourly-wage jobs
- Specialized Searches
- BA Jobs – Bay Area job listings
- Craigslist – Bay Area and national job listings
- Dice – Tech job listings
- Idealist – Find jobs (13,000+), internships (2,000+), and volunteer opportunities (12,000+) in the non-profit sector worldwide.
- Internships.com – Search 140,000+ paid and unpaid internships in all 50 states. Cool feature: “who” button that lets you see which of your Facebook friends have a connection to a company.
- Usajobs.gov – Listings for federal government jobs
- CalVet – Enjoy the benefits to veterans to help you find a job or on-the-job training program that pays you while you prepare for a sustainable career
- VetJobs – Search jobs, post resumes, and explore military-related career fairs
- AARP Job Search – Find millions of jobs for seniors as well as other post-retirement employment opportunities with a free job search.
Resume & Cover Letter
- Career Transitions – Interview simulation, write a cover letter, write a resume, search jobs, internships and more
- LearningExpress Library Tutorials, Tests, eBooks – Create a resume and learn about interviewing and job search skills
- Tutor.com Adult Education and Career Center – Submit your resume and cover letter for personal feedback from a trained professional. Access worksheets, tutorials and study guides on job searching
Build Your Skills
Information and eResources
- LearningExpress Library Tutorials, Tests, eBooks – Use practice tests, tutorials, and downloadable ebooks for various job, school, or licensing tests; tests include SAT, ACT, GED, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, Civil Service jobs, and ASVAB
- Tutor.com Adult Education and Career Center – Submit your resume and cover letter for personal feedback from a trained professional. Access worksheets, tutorials and study guides for adults on citizenship, GED, computer literacy, financial literacy, and job searching. Also includes materials on helping children with homework
- Tuition Funding Sources – Find scholarships, loans and financial aid
- Lynda.com – An online learning site that has videos by expert instructors on a variety of professional skills. Learn new skills to help advance your career
- Treehouse (Technology Learning) – Improve business skills in project management, marketing, and finance. Most courses are at a professional level.
Explore Career Information
Career Web Resources
- Career Transitions – Explore new careers, prepare for a job search, find jobs and submit your applications.
- California Career Center (CalCC) – A career planning website with tools to help you map your future, whether looking ahead to college, apprenticeship, the military or other options.
- California CareerZone – Find the right career for you using tools such as Interest Profiler, Work Importance Profiler, and Assess Yourself assessment.
- California Occupational Guides – Explore any occupation in any California county, including job duties, working conditions, job outlook, wages, education, and current job listings.
- Career One Stop – Find practically everything you need to explore careers, and find training, jobs, and local help.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Online – Find information on each occupation: What They Do, Work Environment, How to Become One, Pay, Job Outlook, and Similar Occupations.
- mySkills myFuture – For those who are laid off and other job changers - identify other occupations that match your current skills
- CalJOBS – Career explorer, training resources, resume builder and job listings throughout California
- Skills Profiler – Use the Skills Profiler to create a list of your skills and match them to job types that use those skills. When your skills profile is complete, you can print it or save it.
- O*NET Online – Find jobs that fit your interests, skills, and experience. Explore growth careers, research what it takes to get your dream job, and maximize your earnings and job satisfaction.
- My Next Move – Learn more about your best career options with this interactive tool. Includes information on tasks, skills, salary, and more for 900+ careers. Provides a tool for veterans.
- NOVA Workforce Development – Find job and career help through the Sunnyvale-based NOVA Job Center, job search workshops, employee training, Youth@Work job database, and more.
- San José Job Corps Center – A no-cost program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor that helps young people (ages 16-24) improve the quality of their lives through career, technical and academic training
- Pivotal – A San Jose non-profit organization that helps teens (ages 14-20) gain work experience by providing work readiness training, skills development and job placement services.
- Work2Future – work2future operates One-Stop Centers that serve San José and southern Santa Clara County. Sign up for access to free services: Career Advising and Coaching, Assessment Tests (aptitude, personality, etc.), Computer Proficiency Classes, Job Search Workshops (resumes, interviewing, etc.), Occupational Skills Training, and more.
Jul 18 2019 - 12:00pm
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
Aug 1 2019 - 12:00pm
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
Career & Business Pages
- SJPL Works: Career & Business
Business & Career Blogs
- SJPL Works - Celebrating African American Business Leaders Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:00pm
- SJPL Works - Lead and Learn Friday, January 26, 2018 - 12:00am
- SJPL Works - New Year, New Start-Up Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 12:00am
- SJPL Works - Make and Succeed! Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:00am