Law and Legal Help Resources
Featured Program: Lawyers in the Library
Connect with an attorney from the Pro Bono Project for a FREE, 20 minute legal advice appointment:
- VIRTUAL: 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, September 2 – December 16, 2023
- Please call (408) 998-5298 ext. 8 during the week prior to the session and leave a message with your name and callback number.
- An attorney will call you for your FREE, 20-minute legal consultation.
- Assistance will be provided on a first come, first served basis.
- Space is limited to the first 6 callers
- Calls will only be returned during the session hours
- VIRTUAL: Every Wednesday, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM, September 6 – December 20, 2023
Register Online. Six 20-minute time slots are available each Wednesday. On the appointment date, an attorney will call between 4:00–6:00 PM.
Due to high demand, only one appointment is allowed per customer each quarter.
Web Resources about Law and Legal Help
These web resources about law and legal help have been selected for you by librarians.
- California State Bar – Attorney search, specialist search, problems with a lawyer.
- Public Directory of Attorneys - Santa Clara County Bar Association.
- California 'Fillable' and 'Non-fillable' Legal Forms – Extensive list by form name or number.
- California Courts Self-Help Center
- LawHelpCA.org - Legal resources and attorney info for low-income Californians.
- Santa Clara County Law Library
- Santa Clara County Superior Court Self-Service Center – Find help on representing yourself, working with a lawyer, getting free & low cost legal help.
- Legal Services of Northern California – Legal information, including links to other resources, for employment, food benefits, health, housing, race equity, and seniors.
- Asian Law Alliance – Free and low-cost assistance for Asian/Pacific Islanders with limited English or who do not understand the American legal system. Specializes in: public benefits, housing, domestic violence, victims of violent crime, immigration and deportation defense, civil rights.
- Bay Area Legal Aid – Specializes in housing, public benefits, consumer law, domestic violence.
- California Rural Legal Assistance – Provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of California's rural counties.
- India Community Center Free Legal Clinic (Milpitas) – Consultations provided by the South Asian Bar Association.
- Katharine and George Alexander Community Law Center – Advice and representation regarding worker's, consumer, and immigration rights.
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley – Multi-lingual advocacy, education, counseling, and free access to the legal system for those who were traditionally unrepresented, with special focus on health, fair housing, children and youth, and mental health.
- Muslim Community Association Free Legal Clinic (Santa Clara) – Consultations, reference center and workshops.
- Pro Bono Project of Silicon Valley – providers of "Lawyers in the Library". Specializes in: domestic violence, paternity, child support, child custody, guardianship, and record expungement.
- Project Sentinel – Landlord-tenant dispute resolution.
- Step Forward Foundation – Immigration and family law services for survivors of domestic violence / sexual assault.
- Superior Court of Santa Clara County Family Law Facilitators – Self Help Center and Restraining Order Help Center.
Copyright, Patents, Trademarks
- Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara - Court locations, jury duty, forms, fees.
- Santa Clara County Superior Court: Case Info
- Supreme Court of the U.S. - opinions, cases, docket, calendar.
- United States Courts - Federal courts, district courts, bankruptcy courts.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California - locations, procedures, forms, fees.
Law and Legislation
- U.S. Constitution Annotated (FindLaw.com)
- National Archives - Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, U.S. Constitution.
- Constitute - The world's constitutions to read, search, and compare.
- U.S. Code
- THOMAS: Bill Search and Texts (1989/101st Congress to present)
- U.S. Government Printing Office, Federal Digital System - search Code of Federal Regulations, Federal Register, Congressional Documents and more.
Law - History and Primary Sources
- Avalon Project - Yale - 3,500+ primary source documents, historic & current.