Education & Digital Literacy: Policy & Governance
The Education Policy for the City of San José is intended to
- Establish the City’s core values and perspective on education as a significant indicator of quality of life;
- Provide a framework for governance and administration of this cross-departmental work;
- Guide the City’s ongoing engagement with community and education stakeholders;
- Ensure that evaluation and oversight is provided to ensure accountability for program quality and the expenditure of resources.
The academic success of San José’s youth is a significant indicator of the future prosperity of our communities. Through partnership with schools, school districts, and educational service providers throughout the region, the City will advance educational outcomes and academic success for San José youth by
- Leveraging its strengths of serving the whole community
- Using data to assess progress and identify gaps
- Realigning specific programs, facilities usage, and other assets as needed.
Council Policy 0-30 establishes the Schools-City Collaborative (S/CC) as a regular meeting of the City. The policy established in 1997 outlines the structure and membership of the body. The Schools-City Collaborative serves an important role in the City’s ongoing education work. It is the policy of the City of San José that formal relationships between the City and the local school districts and education providers serving San José residents are established to ensure positive communication and address areas of common interest.