Congratulations to our second annual Spring into Poetry contest winners. This year, we challenged all aspiring poets to pen verses read in 3 minutes or less (4500 characters max), and our community certainly delivered! Poems of all kinds were submitted and will be added to our growing local collection of short form literature published online through the Short Edition Portal digital collections.
Age 0-7 Category Winners
- First Place: Emma Goder, "The Blackthorn is First"
- Second Place: Misha Agarwal Rao, "Tuhi - My Sister"
- Third Place: Lazarus Cisneros-Jones, "A Reading Adventure"
Age 8-9 Category Winners
- First Place: Andreas Papapanagiotou, "Time is Precious, Time is Great"
- Second Place: Vincent Chai, "The Famous Sun"
- Third Place: Jasmine Jian, "Tidepool Hide and Seek"
Age 10-12 Category Winners
- First Place: Alaina Gupta, "A New Spring"
- Second Place: Kaya Brock, "Pots and Pans"
- Third Place: Alexis Santosa, "Beauty of Spring"
Age 13-17 Category Winners
- First Place: Gwen-Zoe Yang, "Moment of Clarity on Earth Day: 2020, 2021, 2022, 2050"
- Second Place: Esther Hungerford, "Mend"
- Third Place: Carlie Collins, "Mariupol"
Adults 18+ Category Winners
- First Place: Barbara Simmons, "Weeding"
- Second Place: Vicki Harvey, "You're at the Kitchen Table"
- Third Place: Bobbi Arduini, "Winter Trees"
Each winner will receive a gift certificate to local bookseller Hicklebee's, a recently published poetry book, as well as an assortment of goodies to help keep the words and creativity flowing. Congratulations again winners, and indeed to all who participated! We look forward to seeing more submissions for our next creative writing contest this fall.