5 Easy Ways to Celebrate Earth Day - Today & Every Day
Earth Day is always celebrated on April 22nd. This year, take small steps to reflect on how you interact with the world around you and what changes you can add to your daily routine to keep our planet thriving.
1. Plant a seed.
Did you know certain SJPL branches have seed libraries? Visit one and borrow seeds to plant this weekend.
2. Recycle Right
Not sure if something goes in the recycling container or the garbage can? Watch this video, made in collaboration with the city's Environmental Services Department, for a quick course on what to do with those unknown materials.
3. Walk or Ride a Bike Instead of Driving
After weeks of rain, wind, and dreary overcast weather, take advantage of a beautiful spring season by walking, riding a bike, or carpooling to get around town rather than driving.
4. Pick up Litter as You Go
With gloves and a plastic bag, walk around the neighborhood and pick up small bits of litter you may see on the ground. Once the bag is full, throw it away in a city trash container on city sidewalks. Avoid hazardous materials or sharp or dangerous objects, especially if children join you for the outing.
5. Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
What can you do after the day is over?
- Refuse to bring unnecessary or unwanted materials into your home.
- Reduce the amount of plastic or waste you interact with or create through small steps and changes to your daily routines.
- Reuse items you might normally throw away—Turn old t-shirts into rags or smocks for paint and outdoor activities.
- Recycle items right away. Don't mix trash with recycling so that materials can be appropriately processed. Unsure of what is recycling and what is trash? Search over 300 items on the ESD search engine at www.sanjoserecycles.org
What are you going to do today to celebrate Earth Day? Share your ideas in the comments below!