Join us for the eighth annual Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle on Saturday, May 13, 2023
The ride will visit the following libraries where we will stop and enjoy a walking tour:
- Meeting Location: Tully Community Branch Library at 880 Tully Road, San Jose
- Length: 21 miles
- Route Map
- Participants: Everyone who is powering a bicycle must be a competent rider, able to ride in a straight line and keep 5-10 miles per hour pace for 21 miles
- Participants: Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Pace: The Tour is ridden at a casual, leisurely pace and we stay together as a group
- CA helmet law: Persons under age 18 must wear a helmet
- The bicycle tour will not be held in the event of inclement weather
- 9:00 AM: Check-in begins at Tully Community Branch
- 9:20 AM: Bicycle Safety Talk
- 9:30 AM: Depart Tully Community Branch
- 10:00 AM: Arrive at Seven Trees Branch
- 10:50 AM: Arrive at Edenvale Branch
- 12:00 PM: Arrive at Santa Teresa Branch
- 1:30 PM: Arrive at Pearl Avenue Branch
- 2:30 PM: Arrive at Tully Community Branch
- 3:00 PM: Finish
Once “Wheels hit the road” times are approximate
Library stops will include library tours, snacks and activities.
Note: Longer stop at Santa Teresa Branch for light lunch provided by San Jose Public Library.
Stuff to Bring
In addition to having a bicycle in good working condition, please bring your own following items for a more comfortable and safer ride:
- Reusable water bottle
- Lunch and snacks
- Bike helmet
- Layers and/or weather appropriate clothing
Make sure your bicycle is in good working order! You’ll need gears for this ride! Please confirm the brakes are in good working condition and the chain is lubricated (it should not sound like birds chirping).
Water bottle refilling stations are available at most locations. Bring a reusable water bottle and refill your bottle as needed.
Share the adventure or follow the journey
- Twitter: #giradelibro
- Instagram: #giradelibro
- Pictures on Flickr of previous years
- Friends of the San Jose Public Library
- City of San Jose District 7 Councilmember Bien Doan
Why Bicycle Library Tours?
The Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle is a fun tour for library lovers and bicycle enthusiasts. With the growing momentum of bicycle awareness, advocacy and infrastructure in Silicon Valley, libraries are pursuing innovative bicycle-related services and programming. Hosting library bicycle tours increases the visibility of our libraries and get librarians out into the community.
Library bicycle tours appeal to a broad demographic including young adults, adults and families. They bring people of all ages together and highlight the importance and significance of the library's role in the community and in bringing people together. Additionally, library bicycle tours get people of all ages out of cars and moving, showing that bicycling is a viable means of transportation to the library and everyday use.
What's in a name?
The name of the Tour, Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle, is a play on the name of the famous Italian professional road bike stage race, Gira D'Italia, which takes place in May. SJPL's Gira de Libro roughly translates to "turns of the book" or "book tour."