Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "all City Job Opening" link.
Job Posting Dates*
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
- Warehouse Worker (Full and Part Time) - April 20 - 27
*All dates subject to change. Visit www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs for official posting periods.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
Current Employment Opportunities Descriptions
Job Title: Warehouse Worker (Full and Part Time)
Salary: $41974.40 - $53081.60 annually
Posting Dates: 4/20/2015 - 4/27/2015
The San Jose Public Library System is currently recruiting for a Full time and Part Time Warehouse Workers to work in the Logistics Unit. These positions are benefited positions.
Warehouse Workers are assigned a delivery route of several branches and is responsible for loading, driving, and unloading a cargo truck at a loading dock and at multiple locations using a powered lift gate. Duties include receiving of various materials, unpacking and sorting items; maintaining records and preparing reports; operating and maintaining trucks, forklifts, pallet jacks, carts and specialized materials handling equipment, reporting any malfunctions with the vehicle and any service issues as required to the supervisor. The Warehouse Worker must be able to follow directions to make planned deliveries on time, have knowledge of basic truck maintenance requirements and know when to report any vehicle issues, and must be able to perform duties unsupervised while on the route and be able to make decisions regarding traffic situations, emergencies on the road, and possible, alternate routes as needed. Occasional assignments include assembling, maintaining, and making minor repairs to furniture such as desk chairs, display shelving, lamps, fans, etc.
The Warehouse positions are assigned to the Logistics Unit of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library. The Logistics Unit provides service to all branches of the San Jose Public Library System and the position requires driving a passenger van and/or cargo truck. The Logistics Unit hours of operation are between 6:30 AM and 4:00 PM, including Saturdays
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- Education: Completion of high school, General Education Development Certificate or California Proficiency Certificate.
- Experience: Two (2) years performing receiving, issuing, shipping, computer inventory control and related warehouse duties in a large warehousing facility and driving a 14 ft. box truck with power lift gates.
- License/Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver's license.
- Physical requirements: Ability to perform the essential physical functions of the job as determined by a post-offer medical examination conducted by City of San Jose Employee Health Services.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
How to Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs.
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
- Join our mailing list by emailing Personnel@sjlibrary.org
- Set up a job notification through the City of San José‘s Employment page
- Like SJPL on Facebook
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.