Summer Reading Challenge: June 1 - July 31, 2017
Your Summer Challenge
San José Public Library challenges everyone to spend time reading, learning, exploring, and energizing this summer. This year's theme is "Reading by Design". Play games, earn great prizes, explore library services, and attend one of the many events held at libraries across the city. The Summer Reading Challenge is not only fun but it's also beneficial for children.
Prevent the Summer Slide
During summer break, students who do not spend time reading and learning can find their school year skills slipping backwards - also known as the Summer Slide. Teachers and literacy experts agree that reading for 20 minutes per day during the summer and staying active and engaged in educational programs help students retain their skills and return to school ready to learn. Learn more about Why Summer Reading is Important
For Teachers and Community Leaders
- Contact your nearest library for outreach events, class visits, story times and more.
- Display the Summer Reading Posters at your school: For Children | For Teens
For Parents and Caregivers
- Booklists for Children: Babies, Age 0-1 | Toddlers, Age 1-2 | Preschool, Age 3-5 | Kindergarten | 1st Grade | 2nd Grade | 3rd Grade | 4th Grade | 5th Grade | 6th Grade
- Booklists for Teens: coming soon!
- Check out Beanstack and NoveList K-8 for more reading recommendation ideas
Events and Contests
Sponsors and Friends
Thank you to our community sponsors and a special thanks to our Friends of the Library for their continued support!