Summer Reading Challenge: June 1 - July 31, 2016
Your Summer Challenge
San José Public Library challenges everyone to spend time reading, learning, exploring, and energizing this summer. Play games, earn great prizes, explore library services, and attend one of the many events held at libraries across the city. The Summer Reading Challenge is not only fun but it's also beneficial for children. Participate in the Summer Reading Challenge online or visit your local library.
Summer Reading Got More Rewarding
Summer Reading got more rewarding! Starting July 1, stop by your local library to receive a “Golden Ticket”. The “Golden Ticket” is a voucher that will clear late fees on your library account. To qualify, you must be signed up for the Summer Reading Challenge before July 31. Return the “Golden Ticket” to the Information Desk no later than August 13, 2016 to have your late fees cleared.
Prevent the Summer Slide
During summer break, students who do not spend time reading and learning can find their school year skills slipping backwards - also known as the Summer Slide. Teachers and literacy experts agree that reading for 20 minutes per day during the summer and staying active and engaged in educational programs help students retain their skills and return to school ready to learn.
Read as a Family
The Library also challenges you to share the joy of reading as a family. Everyone from the baby to great-grandpa can get involved! Reading for pleasure is one of the building blocks needed for young people to grow into healthy, productive adults.
Summer Food Program
Students can also perform better in school when combined with healthy eating. San José Public Library is helping to support healthy eating with free meals and snacks for children who are 18 and under. Learn more about the Free Summer Food Program
Events and Contests
- Shake up your summer with SJ Earthquakes story times and win tickets to a game.
- Enter the Graphic Novel Making Contest.
- Stay updated with our eNewsletter.
- Pick up the latest issue of SJPL Bound to learn about free summer events and services.
- Check out our events calendar to start planning your summer now.
- Summer Reading Teen Volunteer: If you are a teen, we want you to help us make this year's Summer Reading Challenge super awesome.
- Summer Lunch Assistance Volunteer: Help insure that local children get the nutrition they need to succed
Sponsors and Friends
Thank you to our community sponsors and a special thanks to our Friends of the Library for their continued support!