Summer Learning: June 1 - July 31, 2018
Read to learn and win prizes!
The San Josè Public Library invites readers of all ages to expand their knowledge over the summer by reading and attending our FREE educational events offered at all of our 24 locations.
Prevent the "Summer Slide"
Help your child prevent the "Summer Slide" by participating in our Summer Learning program and trying these 5 quick tips:
- Visit your library and attend FREE events.
- Choose a "just right" book for your child.
- Set some realistic summer reading goals.
- Sneak books into all fun activities you do.
- Show your child that reading is a priority and read everyday.
Registration: June 1
Get the App!
Track your reading for a chance to WIN prizes! You will need to create an account and sign up for your Summer Learning program on the web first, then download the Beanstack Tracker app.
Make the Most of Your Summer
Free Lunch for Kids & Teens
From June 11 – August 10, children and teens (ages 2–18) are invited for free healthy meals and fun activities at our Summer Lunch program. Visit a participating branch location:
Graphic Novel Making Contest
Enter our Graphic Novel Making Contest by creating a graphic novel, comic, or manga style illustrated short story for a chance to win a prize!
First time creating a comic? No problem! We’re offering programs to help you learn how to create your own graphic novel.
- Entry Deadline: Tuesday, July 31
- Awards Ceremony: Saturday, August 25, 2:00 PM, at Seven Trees Branch
Summertime, and Volunteerin' is Easy
Spend your summer with us! With just 1-3 hours per week, teen and adult volunteers can make a positive impact in our community.
Our Summer Learning Ambassadors play a pivotal role in encouraging youth and families to continue education during the summer months and our Free Summer Food Program Assistants help distribute nutritious meals to children and teens, at select branch libraries.
Sign up to volunteer at your local SJPL location, today!
About Summer Learning
Summer Learning is the cornerstone of the Library's summer initiatives.
- Our Mission Statement is Learning For All: SJPL is a learning institution. From our Storytimes, coding classes to our Homework Clubs and ESL classes, SJPL lives up to its mission statement to “enrich lives by fostering LIFELONG LEARNING and by ensuring that EVERY MEMBER of the community has access to a vast array of ideas and information."
- Reading is Learning: We believe that reading is learning, especially for youth. For younger children, reading fosters learning about the world around them, and prepares them for the challenges of entering school. For older children and teens, reading helps keep their minds active and engaged, reinforcing and facilitating learning.