San José Public Library Begins Reopening
Updated August 1, 2021
All of our branches and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library have reopened for limited indoor services. Learn more on our Reopening web page.
Updated May 24, 2021
Our branches are starting to reopen! Learn more on our Reopening web page.
Updated April 2, 2021
Limited technology access is available at select San José library locations starting April 5, 2021.
Resumption of library services are being reviewed and coordinated with the City of San Jose’s Emergency Operations Center. The City is following Santa Clara County’s Public Health Risk Reduction orders currently in Orange tier under the State of California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy. Additional library locations and plans for service resumption are under review and will be announced once approved.
San José Public Library Temporary Closure
Updated February 12, 2021
Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020, the San José Public Library (SJPL) closed all library locations to the public. These closures will remain in effect until further notice, in order to mitigate the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The City's decision to suspend public programs and services was made with consideration and concern for the safety, health, and well-being of library customers, library staff, and our communities. During this closure, we will do our best to lessen any negative impacts and loss of access by providing enhanced customer care and virtual services.
Though our library locations remain temporarily closed, SJPL members can now request items from our physical collection using our new and contactless service, SJPL Express Pickup. This service is available at all library locations except Mount Pleasant Branch. Appointments are recommended at all branches and required at the West Valley branch.
SJPL's Express Pickup hours of operation are Monday – Saturday from 1:00 – 6:00 PM.
If you have questions, please connect with a library staff member available 7 days a week through SJPL's chat service or call 408-808-2000, Monday – Saturday from 11 AM – 6 PM.
Here's what you need to know:
- You can return library materials any of our locations.
- We are currently not accepting book donations.
- You can review the status of your checked out items via your online account.
- No late fines will be assessed during the closure.
- You can still access materials via our online collection (eLibrary)
- eLibrary cards are available for San Jose residents who need a library card to access eBooks, eMedia, and online learning services
- San Jose residents can convert their eLibrary card to a Temporary Card in order to place holds and check out physical materials.
- Library staff will be available to provide assistance via Quick Answers or through RefChat 7-days a week in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Chinese.
- Your Questions Answered
- If you have more questions, please call 408-808-2000.
- Follow us on social media @SanJoseLibrary
- Sign up for our eNewsletter
- Visit the City of San José’s website for emergency public information notifications and updates on COVID-19.
Take Care of Your Health and Help Protect Others
- Staying home, if you’re not feeling well.
- Washing your hands frequently (use soap and water for at least 20 seconds).
- Maintaining social distance (at least 6 ft. between yourself and others).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Visit the Santa Clara County Public Health Department or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the latest Coronavirus updates and more recommendations and resources in Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
SJPL will continue to work closely with our City and County offices to monitor developing information. We thank you for your continued support and for helping keep our communities safe and welcoming.
Is the library allowing past over due books to be returned and waiving fee’s?
You may return your overdue materials now without worries. Library fines will not be assessed until all libraries are fully open.