Locations and Hours
1157 Minnesota Ave
San José, CA 95125
The Office of Vice Mayor Madison Nguyen presents:
Operation Prom Dress 2014
There is still time to participate in this year’s Operation Prom-Dress! Don’t let a tough economy discourage students from attending Prom.
Dig through those closets for new or gently used dresses and accessories and donate them to any of the following libraries or community centers.
Donations are being accepted until March 7, 2014.
For Students needing a dress, join us March 9th from 9am - 1 pm at the Seven Trees Community Center! There will be refreshments and raffle prizzes! Please remember to bring a valid student ID. For more information, see our flyer here.
enki is a new eBook platform created by libraries in California with great content purchased directly from indie publishers rather than through a vendor reseller. Try a new author you may never have heard of before, and find new favorites amongst these great independent titles from publishers who actively support libraries!
Here are some quick facts:
- enki offers EPUB and PDF eBooks, no Kindle format and no audiobooks.
- You will need an Adobe ID
- Titles can be downloaded or read online
- iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire users will need to install the Bluefire Reader app
- Desktop users will need Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)
- You can transfer to a Nook with ADE
- You can checkout up to 5 and place up to 5 titles on hold
- 14 day checkout
Tax help from VITA and AARP is available again this year at several of our libraries. See our events calendar for a complete list of opportunities.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
VITA offers free tax help to hard working individuals and families whose income is less than $52,000. Assistance is available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese at most locations. All locations provide e-File. Volunteers are trained to prepare basic 2013 Forms 1040EZ, 1040A, 1040 with Schedule A, B, limited Schedule CEZ, C and California Income Tax Returns ONLY! You also CANNOT be filing as "Married, Filing Separate returns".
What to Bring:
- Photo ID and Social Security card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for each family member.
- W-2 forms and all 1099, 1098, or all other tax forms you received.
- A copy of last year's federal and state tax return, if available.
- A check with your account number for direct deposit.
VITA Library Sites:
- Alum Rock Branch - Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 5:30 -7:30 PM, Feb. 4 - Apr. 15
- East San Jose Carnegie Branch - Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Feb. 15 - Apr. 12
- Hillview Branch - Saturdays, 2:00 - 5:00 PM, Feb. 8 - Apr. 12
- Tully Branch - Wednesdays, 5:00 - 7:30 PM, Feb. 5 - Apr. 9
- West Valley Branch - Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Feb. 8 - Apr. 12
VITA volunteers are also available at many other Santa Clara County locations. For questions, call 1-800-906-9887.
AARP Foundation Tax Aide
Residents 60 years and older with low and moderate income can register for free assistance on their personal tax preparation. e-File is available.
AARP Library Sites
Willow Glen Branch - Wednesdays, 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM, Feb. 5 - Apr. 9
You must register in person for an appointment at the library.
What to bring to your appointment
The AARP Tax Aide program is available at other locations throughout the country. For questions, call 1-888-227-7669.
Where to Get Tax Forms
Our Libraries have not carried tax forms for several years now. You are encouraged to get the forms online:
You can also get them at the following San Jose locations:
- Employment Development Dept - 904 Ruff Drive/1st floor, San Jose, CA 95110
- Santa Clara County Libraries