Locations and Hours
6445 Camden Ave.
San José, CA 95120
The San José Public Library invites teens to create a book trailer for our Summer Reading Celebration during the months of June and July. Upload a short clip, no longer than 4 minutes, to YouTube. Be creative! The contest is open to all participants in the Teen Summer Reading Celebration.
How to enter:
Think of a favorite book you read for Summer Reading and envision it as a short video, one that will capture the interest of your audience. Create your own book trailer, reviewing the book. You can submit more than one video, but each video has to be for a separate book.
- Sign up for Summer Reading starting on June 1, 2013.
- Post the video on YouTube using the tag: SJPL2013SRC
- Submit the YouTube link to your book trailer along with your name, age, contact information (either a phone number or email) and your library branch to: 2013SJPLBookTrailerContest@gmail.com
- All entries must be submitted by July 31, 2013
- Book trailers may not be longer than four minutes in length
- Story being reviewed should be a young adult or adult fiction or non-fiction book.
- Cite all images, video and audio that you did not create
A panel of judges (staff at San José Public Library) will review all entries and select the top three winners, to be announced in August 2013. The panel of judges will use the following criteria when reviewing book trailer entries:
- Content: Clear introduction; strong hook; summary without dominating narration; fresh and interesting commentary with strong conclusion
- Voice/Sound: Interesting; well-rehearsed; smooth delivery; holds audience attention; easy to hear narration over soundtrack; voice sounds natural and helps convey meaning; soundtrack adds to tone/feel of presentation
- Images: Crisp, clear, engaging, enriching, extending details and meaning; appropriately cited.
- Presentation: All elements (color and graphics) work together seamlessly to create an interesting book trailer
Need some examples? Check out the winning entry from last year's Book Trailer Contest, created by K. Rai.
Here are links to some professional book trailers:
Teens who submit links to their Book Trailer will automatically be entered in the contest. The top 3 winners will receive:
- 1st place: iPad Mini
- 2nd place: $50 gift card for iTunes
- 3rd place: $25 gift card for Jamba Juice
If you have a talent for creating comic/manga style illustrated short stories, you are invited to enter San José Public Library’s Graphic Novel Making Contest for all ages as part of our Summer Reading Celebration, 2013. This contest is sponsored by San José Public Library, Hijinx Comics, San José Museum of Art and TRY Japan Culture Group.
Here’s how to enter …
- Create your own comic book with a maximum length of 8 pages, including the cover page.
- Use letter-size paper (8.5 x 11) with black-and-white drawings and text on one side only.
- Each submission must be the creative and original work of a single individual—the author/illustrator.
- The contest is limited to amateur authors/ illustrators only.
- Computer generated images are acceptable as long as they are your original work (no clip art)
- Consider submitting a photocopy that is an accurate reflection of the original (as submissions are non-returnable).
- San José Public Library reserves the right to reproduce your work. You can reuse all your work after the contest.
- Be sure to print and complete the creative works release form. Include your Name, Age, Contact Information and Signature.
- Entries can be submitted to any San José Public Library location no later than 8p.m. on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
- Entries can also be submitted online to email@example.com as a jpeg or pdf attachment.
- There is a limit of one entry per contestant.
Entries will be judged on content and illustrations by a panel of library staff and comic industry professionals. All cash prizes will be awarded as gift cards.
- Children (up to age 6): first prize $25; second prize $15
- Children (7-12): first prize $40; second prize $20
- Teens (ages 13-17): first prize $100; second prize $70; third prize $50
- Adults (age 18 and above): first prize $100; second prize $70; third prize $50
Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at a reception to be held at the Seven Trees Branch Library on Saturday, August 24th at 2:00 p.m.in the Community Room.
San José Public Library staff members are ineligible to participate.
San José Public Library reserves the right to refuse submissions that are not appropriate for a general audience. This contest is open to all California residents.
San Jose Public Library wants your recommendations for the International IMPAC Dublin award now! (Deadline May 16, 2013)
Is there a novel you read last year that you enjoyed? Nominate it for the IMPAC Dublin award!
Every year San Jose Public Library, along with other major libraries from around the world nominates a work of fiction written or translated in English published the preceding year for the International IMPAC Dublin Award. From the Long list of recommended books, a short list of 10 books is chosen by a jury of authors. From this list of finalists a winner is chosen and announced the following June.
The book must be a novel, published in English between January 1 and December 31, 2012 or an English translation of a book originally published between 2008-2012.
Post your recommendations below no later than May 16.
For more information on the IMPAC Dublin award: www.impacdublinaward.ie