Volunteer Away Your Fines
Clear Your Fines
Tired of not being able to use your library card? Eliminate your fines by volunteering. Fines will be cleared from your account at a rate of $20 per hour.
There are plenty of different volunteer activities available that don’t even call for specific skills or experience. Assist with branch programs, library events, and maintaining a welcoming environment in our facilities. We’ll be here with you every step of the way to provide guidance and support.
Details and Requirements
- Must be able to complete the full duration of the volunteer activity. Please arrive 15 minutes early to update your library account information and sign-in
- Anyone under the age of 15 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- No experience or special skills necessary
- Training and supplies will be provided
- Volunteer at any of the San José Public Library locations
- The Volunteer Away Your Fines program is open to all San José Public Library patrons. You must first register through Better Impact by selecting a specific volunteer opportunity.
- Volunteers under the age of 15 need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Volunteers are required to complete the full duration of their volunteer session and arrive 15 minutes early to update their library account information.
Although the main objective is to eliminate economic barriers to library use, the Volunteer Away Your Fines program is open to all San Jose Public Library members regardless of whether they have fines or not.
If you participate in the Volunteer Away Your Fines program, you are able to volunteer off your library fines at a rate of $20 per hour, or select to waive the fines on another card from within your immediate family. You can register to volunteer as many times necessary to remove all of your accrued library fines.
Volunteer Away Your Fines can be utilized to remove the following fines/fees from your account:
- All San José Public Library fines/fees related to:
- Damaged material
- Material replacement
- Collection Agency
- Link+ overdues
- Volunteer Away Your Fines does not include fines/fees related to:
- Link+ replacement
- Interlibrary Loan
Yes, in order for branches to have an accurate attendance estimate, we ask that you register through Better Impact by selecting the volunteer opportunity that interests you.
You can register for an opportunity through Better Impact by selecting the volunteer opportunity that interests you.
It is necessary to register prior to the event through Better Impact since each opportunity will have limited slots and a cut-off date.
It is necessary to register prior to the event by filling out an application through Better Impact.
You may select to waive the fines from another card from within your immediate family.
Definitely, the more the merrier. If you volunteer alongside a family member, then both of your time counts towards waiving away fines.
It is not necessary for children to register. Families can register through Better Impact as a group.
That depends on how many fines you have and how many volunteer sessions are available on a single day. You can volunteer away your fines at a rate of $20 per hour. Volunteer Away Your Fines opportunities vary in length of time from branch to branch.
Definitely. You can volunteer at whichever locations have available opportunities that fit your needs.
Yes, your San José Public Library card is needed to sign-in at all of the Volunteer Away Your Fines events. We recommend that you always bring your library card with you when you visit the library.
Volunteer Away Your Fines participants are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to their volunteer session to update their library accounts, get a new library card (if needed), and check-in with the event host.
We ask that you keep your belongings with you at all times. Please leave large items (e.g. backpacks, skateboards, etc.) at home since the library has limited space to store belongings while you volunteer.
Volunteer Away Your Fines can indeed be used for service hours, Library staff will be more than happy to sign off on your volunteer hours.