Take Our California Room Survey - Help us determine priorities and better serve you!
The California Room is a collection of books, maps, files, and other items on California history with emphasis on the history of San José and Santa Clara County.
Resources in the California Room
- Aerial Photographs - Historical aerial photographs of the greater San José area
- Census Records - County census rolls 1860-1880, 1900-1930
- City Directories - Residence, family, occupation info 1870-1979
- Digital Collections - Digitized images from selected Library collections
- Maps - Sanborn Fire Insurance, street, topographic maps
- Music Collections Index - Index of sheet music at King Library
- Newspapers - Key titles and clipping files in the California Room
- Pioneer Papers - Essays on Santa Clara County history
- School Yearbooks - Middle schools, high schools, colleges
- Silicon Valley Company Archive Index - Valley company archives from 1986-1993
- Vital Records - Birth, marriage, death, obituary information
- Weather Records for San José - Official weather logs from 1906-1962
- Your Old House Research Help - Resources on the history of your house
It's hard to believe it's been over 10 years now, but yes - the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library was a planned project between the City of San Jose and San Jose State University. By joining forces and resources, both organizations were able to benefit and offer a large and varied collection to both communities.
As a teenager in the 1970s, I remember going with my dad one time to pick up his cleaning. That sounds pretty boring, but when we pulled up to the cleaners, I couldn’t believe what I saw. It was an incredible old building that looked as though it had...