Spring is here which means summer is just around the corner! If librarians say "summer", we definitely think of Summer Learning - fast approaching for pre-registration on May 8, 2023. The program begins June 1 and runs to July 31. All ages can read or listen to learn and win prizes!
There are a lot of things you can do right now to make sure you are ready for the season and its festivities in just a few short months:
Master the Library Essentials
1. Library cards are important!
Have you lost your library card? Haven’t used your card for a while? Maybe your card is expired? Did you forget your PIN number? Maybe you haven't gotten around to signing up for one? We can help! You can apply for a new card and visit your closest library branch to pick up your new and shiny card. You can have your PIN reset, too, or reset your PIN yourself online.
Did you know that we currently offer nine card designs? Select the one that appeals to you the most.
2. Location! Location! Location!
Have you recently visited one of our branch libraries (or the magnificent King Library)? Each of them is very unique and beautiful with original artworks to discover! Check which one is in your area and stop by during our open hours.
Did you know that the materials we house in each of the branches are curated specifically for the communities served? If you are looking for a great Spanish collection, visit the Biblioteca Latinoamericana. How about some new Vietnamese books or DVDs? The Tully Community Branch Library is the place where you will find them.
3. Programs and events!
To get your feet wet before the Summer Learning extravaganza make sure to register and attend one of our SJPL programs! You can find something that will captivate your interests regardless of age! A growing list of Summer Learning events kick off starting June 1.
Did you know that SJPL offers hundreds of programs and events each week in both online and in-person formats? We host storytimes, gardening workshops, computer help, homework and book clubs, career workshops, and many more!
Reading… vacation for the mind, as Dave Barry used to say. Are you ready for your vacation (meaning: a great book)? We offer a unique service called 5forU: Personal Reading Recommendations! Fill out a short form and have 5 suggested
titles sent to your inbox in just a few days. It is time to catch that reading bug again! Plus, while you wait for your recommendations, you can always browse our curated booklists.
Take-Home Books & Toys for Young Children
SJPL provides take-home materials for you to check out that can help children and caregivers find comfort in sharing books together, as well as discovering new ideas and skills to connect. Early Education has curated backpacks and activity boxes that promote the importance of early literacy through hands-on resources. Check them out this summer to explore, play, and grow!
- Books and More Bilingual Backpacks include books, toys, and a music CD so that you can read, talk, and sing with your child. Each bag also comes with a resource page with tips on how to capture children’s attention and make connections. These backpacks are available in English/Vietnamese and English/Spanish.
- Wee Read: Books to Go & Grow are themed bags that contain picture books that widely reflect culture, race, gender, family makeup, or ability. They also include a resource page for parents and caregivers with tips and ideas on how to foster positive early learning experiences using the material.
- Wee Play & Learn Activity Boxes include a variety of books and educational toys to take home and learn about concepts such as science, shapes, dinosaurs, and more!
Perfect Your Travel Plans
If travel is what you're looking forward to this summer, the library offers several eResources to help you plan:
- To visit places in and around San Jose, use Discover & Go to get free and discounted ticket passes for local attractions.
- To visit one of our state parks, you can check out one of our California Parks Passes to visit any of over 200 participating parks. You could also pick up an Outdoor Exploration Pack to enhance your visit, which already includes a park pass!
- To visit places within the USA, use AtoZ the USA. Explore a state and its points of interest such as Architectural Landmarks, Historical Sites, Museums and Cultural Centers, Natural Sites, Parks, and more.
- To visit places around the world, use AtoZ World Travel. Explore the country you want to visit and learn about Climate & Weather, Language, Maps, Money & Banking, Transportation, Health & Medical Risks, Travel Warnings, and Visa, Passport, Customs, Entry & Departure requirements.