How to Become a Library Volunteer
There are many opportunities for you to volunteer within your library. Our volunteers are brought on with an expectation to volunteer for a six-month commitment. The schedule varies with each volunteer activity.
If you are interested in eliminating your fines by volunteering, skip the below process and visit our Volunteer Away Your Fines page.
Steps to Become an Ongoing Volunteer
- Review the opportunities listed by location
- Select the opportunity that interests you and complete an online application
- After your application is reviewed, a staff person will contact you to schedule an interview. At this meeting, you will:
- Review the volunteer position description;
- Discuss schedule/availability; and
- Review the Volunteer Handbook.
- After your meeting, you will receive Fingerprint LiveScan information from the Volunteer Services office (Fingerprinting required for volunteers age 18 and over). Results may take between 2-3 weeks to process.
- Once we receive the results, you are ready to begin volunteering.
Our first priority is to provide a safe environment for all members of the community. The San José Public Library has in place a process of fingerprinting all ongoing adult volunteers. Fingerprinting is done at no cost to you and results will be kept confidential. The information for this appointment will be shared with you after your initial interview. You can begin volunteering as soon as we receive results which may take 2-3 weeks following your appointment.
Youth Volunteers, Ages 13-14
Acquire community service credits all year long through Teens Reach, opens a new window, a youth council for the San José Public Library. In the summertime, those ages 13-14 can also serve as Summer Learning Ambassadors for our Summer Learning Program. Sign up for our Volunteer Services & Opportunities email newsletter, opens a new window so you can be notified as these opportunities become available. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have their legal guardian sign the Volunteer Signature Form, which will be provided to you by your staff liaison.
Youth Volunteers, Ages 15+
The minimum age required for ongoing volunteering is 15. Teens Reach, opens a new window is optional but recommended for those age 15-17. Each teen volunteer develops basic professional skills and serves as a public library representative. You will be trained by library staff and meet with your liaison to discuss such things as your schedule, expectations, and dress code. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have their legal guardian sign the Volunteer Signature Form, which will be provided to you by your staff liaison.