How to Become a Library Volunteer
There are many opportunities for you to volunteer within your library. Our volunteers are brought on with an expectation to volunteer for a six-month commitment. The schedule varies with each volunteer activity.
If you are interested in eliminating your fines by volunteering, skip the below process and visit our Volunteer Away Your Fines page.
Steps to Become an Ongoing Volunteer
- Review the opportunities listed by location
- Select the opportunity that interests you and complete an online application
- After your application is reviewed, a staff person will contact you to schedule an interview to identify which activity aligns with your expressed areas of interest. At this meeting, you will:
- Review the volunteer position description;
- Discuss schedule/availability; and
- Review the Volunteer Handbook.
- After your meeting, you will receive Fingerprint LiveScan information from the Volunteer Services office (Fingerprinting required for volunteers age 18 and over). Results typically take between 2-3 weeks to process.
- Once we receive the results, you are ready to begin volunteering.
Our first priority is to provide a safe environment for all members of the community. The San José Public Library has in place a process of fingerprinting all ongoing adult volunteers. Fingerprinting is done at no cost to you and results will be kept confidential. The information for this appointment will be shared with you after your initial interview. You can begin volunteering as soon as we receive results which typically take 2-3 weeks following your appointment.
Youth Volunteers, Ages 13-14
Acquire community service credits all year long through Teens Reach, a youth council for the San José Public Library.
Every summer, those ages 13-14 can take part in two of our biggest volunteer opportunities:
- Summer Learning Ambassadors
- Free Summer Food Program volunteer
Sign up for our Volunteer Services email newsletter so you can be notified as these opportunities become available. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have their legal guardian sign the Volunteer Signature Form.
Youth Volunteers, Ages 15+
The minimum age required for ongoing volunteering is 15. Teens Reach is optional but recommended for those age 15-17. Each teen volunteer serves as a library representative to the public. You will be trained by a staff person who will speak with you regarding scheduling, expectations, and dress code. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have their legal guardian sign the Volunteer Signature Form.
Volunteer Opportunities by Location
- Almaden Branch
- Alum Rock Branch
- Alviso Branch
- Bascom Branch
- Berryessa Branch
- Biblioteca Latinoamericana Branch
- Calabazas Branch
- Cambrian Branch
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
- East San José Carnegie Branch
- Edenvale Branch
- Educational Park Branch
- Evergreen Branch
- Hillview Branch
- Joyce Ellington Branch
- Mt. Pleasant Neighborhood Library
- Pearl Avenue Branch
- Rose Garden Branch
- Santa Teresa Branch
- Seven Trees Branch
- Tully Community Branch
- Village Square Branch
- Vineland Branch
- West Valley Branch
- Willow Glen Branch
- Partners in Reading