Veterans Day, a national holiday held annually on November 11, honors members of the United States Armed Forces who have served in peace and wartime. Initially the holiday honored Great War veterans, as it commemorated the day an armistice was declared to cease hostilities in that conflict (November 11, 1918). In 1954, the holiday was expanded to honor American veterans of all wars. Read more about the origins and history of Veterans Day. Some restaurants and retail stores offer veterans free meals and discounts on Veterans Day. Veterans also get free access to all National Parks year round.
The 105th San Jose Veterans Day Parade will take place Friday, November 11, 2023 in downtown San Jose. Follow the link for information about schedule, parking, and the parade route.
Valuable resources for veterans and their families are listed below, as well as SJPL books and films about U.S. veterans and their stories.
San José Public Library Resources
- Vet Now: VetNow offers live online assistance for veterans and their families. Connect with a live navigator to get help determining your VA benefits, translating your resume for civilian jobs, building academic skills, and more.
- Veterans of Life Write: Veterans of Life participants have shared their stories in film, presented their poetry live and virtually, and have published a book, Veterans of Life Write. Register for SJPL's Virtual Veterans of Life events.
Other Local and National Resources
- County of Santa Clara Office of Veterans Services
- Coalition to Salute America's Heroes
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- The Military Wallet
- Wounded Warrior Project
Books, eBooks, and Films
Books, ebooks and films about the experiences of United States veterans.