San José Public Library is committed to supporting the needs of all community members. To help connect you or your loved ones to needed resources, below you will find a guide to Resources Within Walking Distance of King Library For Those in Need, updated in March 2023.
- Front Door Communities: For women, Wed & Fri, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM, 49 N. 4th Street, 408-600-6654
- Kinship, Adoptive, & Foster Parent Association Resource Center: For families, Mon-Thu 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM. Please call to request children clothes: for ages 0-18yrs. 373 W. Julian Street, 408-501-6365
- Sacred Heart Community Services: For all. Clothes Closet: Mon, Wed, Thu 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM; Tue 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM; Fri 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Browse and shop twice per month for high-quality clothing, shoes, accessories, and linens. Each individual can take home up to 5 articles of clothing for free. 1381 S 1st St, 408-278-2160
- Salvation Army: For all. Mon-Thu 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM & 1:00 - 3:00 PM; Fri 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM. 359 N 4th St, 408-282-1165
- Emmanuel House: For all, Mon-Sat Lunch 12:15 - 1:00 PM (No lunch on Sundays) Every day: Dinner, 5:15 – 6:00 PM, Salvation Army, 405 N. 4th Street, 408-282-1175
- Front Door Communities: Lunch Bag Program Mon, Tue, Thu 9:30 – 11:00 AM @ St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 405 S. 10th St., 408-600-6654
- John XXIII: Seniors, age 60 and over, Mon-Fri at 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM, Hot lunches, 195 East San Fernando Street
- John XXIII: For all, Mon-Fri from 9:45 AM - 12:00 PM & 1:30 - 5:00 PM, cold meals & snacks. 195 East San Fernando, Street. Distributed at side window – on 5th Street
- Recovery Cafe: For members, Mon-Fri, breakfast 10:00 - 11:00 AM, Lunch at 12:30 PM, latte hour at 2:30 PM (New member orientation happens each Monday at 10:30 AM – arrive at 10:00 AM to sign in and get breakfast, plan to stay till 11:30 AM) 80 South 5th Street 408-294-2963
- Sacred Heart Community Services: For all, Mon, Wed, Thu 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Tue 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Fri 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
Second Harvest Food Bank’s Food Connection Toll-Free Line: 1-800-984-3663*
*Click on the link or call this number to find the closest food distribution site.
Health & Medicine
- Better Health Pharmacy: For all, Tue-Fri 10:30 AM - 7:00 PM, Sat 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM. 725 E. Santa Clara Street, Suite 202 408-794-0564 The first and only dedicated drug donation pharmacy in California. They receive unused, unopened, and unexpired medications from licensed healthcare facilities, and dispense the drugs at no cost to their patients who have a valid prescription.
- Gardner Mobile Health Van: For all, Call for schedule, 408-935-3908
- Gardner Family Health Services at John XXIII Health Center: For all, Mon-Fri 8:30 - 11:30 AM, Walk-in registration between 7:30 - 9:30 AM. 195 East San Fernando Street, 408-457-6600. Primary healthcare assessment & treatment, preventive health services & education, chronic disease and immunization, TB test, flu shots, sick visits, pharmacy prescriptions & lab work with referral to St. James Health Center
- St James Health Center: For all (Gardner Family Health Services patients with Gardner prescriptions) Pharmacy - 1st Floor, Mon-Fri 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM, 55 East Julian Street, 408-457-7100
Showers & Laundry
- Bill Wilson Drop-In Center: Youth, ages 18 – 25 (Children 12 - 17 will be referred to Bill W. on the Alameda ) Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM , Thu 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. 693 South 2nd Street, 408-925-0231
- Dignity on Wheels full locations and schedule.
- Goodwill Industries: 1080 N. 7th St. Mondays 1:00 - 5:30 PM
- Backesto Park: 551 N 13th St. Tuesdays, Thursdays 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- Columbus Park: Asbury Street &, Irene St. Wednesdays 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- Martha's Kitchen: 311 Willow St, Wednesdays 1:00 - 5:30 PM
- Northside Community Center: 488 N 6th St, Fridays 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- St. Paul's United Methodist Church: 405 S 10th St, Fridays (women only 1:00 - 4:00 PM, open for all 4:00 - 6:00 PM)
- Bill Wilson Drop-In Center: Youth, ages 18 - 25 (Children 12-17 will be referred to Bill W. on the Alameda) Everyday: 9:00 PM - 7:30 AM Respite Mon–Fri 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM, Sat 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, 693 South 2nd Street 408-925-0231 Food, clothing, personal care, lockers, access to phones, computers, washers & dryers
To get started, call the Here4You Call Center 9am-7pm at 408-385-2400*
* this is the Here4you centralized shelter hotline. This number is the centralized way to refer folks to ALL county-wide housing programs (including emergency shelter, permanent supportive housing, rapid-rehousing, and temporary housing). They must be enrolled in the county-wide coordinated entry system (a.k.a. Homeless Management Information System -HMIS) to be assessed for risk, and referred accordingly. Read more about the coordinated entry system.
Downtown Organizations Serving the Homeless Community
- Downtown Streets Team: Mon-Sun, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, 1671 The Alameda, 650-305-1174
- PATH: King Library, 3rd Floor, Room 324, 150 East San Fernando St. Check our Partner Services page for hours. 408-753-8735.
- Homelessness Prevention System (HPS) The HPS program provides financial assistance to low-income families or individuals who are at risk of losing their housing, including: temporary financial assistance, legal support, case management and other services. Click the link for specific eligibility requirements and appropriate agencies to reach out to for this program.
- City of San José Homeless Helpline call 408-975-1440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - Deploys City outreach workers to individuals experiencing homelessness in San José. Outreach teams will visit to help homeless residents find emergency shelter, showers, laundry service, meal programs, medical services, case management and more. The goal is to provide assistance to homeless individuals who are looking for supportive services.
- City of San José Affordable Housing Listings
Additional Resource Lists
- City of San José Housing Department’s Homeless Services Guide: English | Spanish | Vietnamese
- Santa Clara County Social Services Agency 2022 Resource Guide
- NAMI Santa Clara County Resource Guide
As an institution, the San José Public Library prides itself on the ability to function as a community resource. We hope that this resource guide can serve as a useful tool.
If you or someone you know needs further assistance, you are invited to seek help through:
Social Work in the Library
Social Work in the Library is an SJPL initiative that offers support to all community members, especially people experiencing homelessness. Our specialist and partners can meet with you for a free consultation for free social service information and referrals.
See additional SJPL events offering community support and programs on health and wellness