Did you know you could receive library materials by mail? Library-by-Mail is for San José residents who cannot visit the library due to a temporary or permanent disability.
It's easy as 1-2-3 to sign up!
- Start with the application
- Obtain certification from a physician, nurse, or social worker
- Receive a welcome letter confirming enrollment in Library-by-Mail
Once you're enrolled, you can place holds online through our library catalog or a liaison librarian can place holds on your behalf. You can request anything from our regular collection that circulates! Once your requests are ready, we'll pack them up in a blue reusable pouch and mail them to you. Materials checkout for 8 weeks with 1 automatic renewal.
No postage is necessary! To return your materials, simply place them back in the pouch, flip the postage card over in clear window, and drop off at any outgoing mailbox or post office. Place more holds and repeat! This service is provided free of charge through the United States Postal Service.
Your Library-by-Mail account only allows you to get materials through the home delivery service, and you can unenroll from Library-by-Mail at any time.
For more information, please call 408-808-2000 or email email@example.com.
Did you know that SJPL has materials in alternative formats?
- Large Print Books - The library offers selected fiction and nonfiction large print books.
- Audiobooks - The library has fiction and nonfiction audiobooks on CD.
- Closed Captioned Videos - The Library has DVDs and VHS videos with closed captioning of dialogue and sound.
- Sound Descriptive Videos - The Library also has DVDs with narrative tracks that describe what is happening throughout the recording, including when there is no dialogue.