Visit the following websites, selected for you by librarians, for more information on this topic.
- San José Better Business Bureau - Check business ratings, report a scam.
- Consumer Action - San Francisco-based organization for consumer rights.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission - Recalls and product safety.
- USA.gov for Consumers - Consumer Action Handbook.
- Federal Trade Commission - Consumer Information - Prevents deceptive and unfair business practices, includes scam alerts and advice.
- Office of the California Attorney General - Consumer information and how to file a complaint.
- Yelp - User reviews of local businesses.
San José Public Libraries do not carry tax forms. Please visit the sites listed below to download and print your tax forms.
- Internal Revenue Service
- California Franchise Tax Board - State tax forms and information.
- AARP Tax-Aide – Free assistance to taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those 60 and older.
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) – Free tax preparation assistance by certified volunteers.
Personal Finance Resources
- Annual Credit Report - Official free credit reports.
- Bankrate - Interest rates on credit cards, savings accounts, mortgages.
- Big Charts - Historic stock prices.
- Buxfer - Online money management tool, free account for limited usage.
- City of San José Housing Department - Foreclosure Prevention and Intervention.
- Kiplinger Magazine Household Budgeting Worksheet
- Mint.com - Free online budget / money management tool.
- Morningstar - Basic stock and fund information.
- US Social Security Administration - Benefits information.
- Yahoo Finance – Stock quotes, news and advice for personal and business finance.