Not Available During Closure
This type of card will be available when we fully reopen.
San José Public Library (SJPL) cards are available free of charge. SJPL cards are available to Middle/Junior High School and High School students. A paper registration form must be completed for this type of card.
Getting a SJPL Teen Library Card
Applications requested by school or teachers
- Applications must be requested, completed, and returned to library staff for processing prior to class visit.
- The school/teacher will verify all student information.
- A parent/guardian signature is not required.
- All complete applications will be retained for 3 months by SJPL.
Application completed by teen
- Parent/guardian signature is not required for Teen Card.
- Photo ID is required. (Student ID).
Fines and Loan Rules Guidelines
- Privilege limit is 12 months, but can be extended another year if under 18.
- You may borrow 1 SJPL item and have access to Library’s eResources.
- All fines and loan rules apply to the Teen Card.
- Library cards are not transferable and can only be used by the individual registered for that card.
- Lost or stolen cards must be reported to SJPL as soon as possible to avoid being held responsible for items checked out on the card.
Converting to Full Card Privileges
A Teen Card can be converted to a full privilege library borrowing card when the parent/guardian signs the agreement. Parent/guardian will assume full responsibility for the materials and any fines charged to the card.