San Jose Public Library (SJPL) cards are available free of charge. SJPL cards are available to Middle/Junior High School and High School students. Paper Registration Form must be completed for the Teen cards.
Getting a SJPL Teen Library Card
Applications requested by school or teachers
- Applications must be requested, completed, and returned to library staff for processing prior to class visit.
- The school/teacher will verify all student information.
- A parent/guardian signature is not required.
- All complete applications will be retained for 3 months by SJPL.
Application completed by teen
- Parent/guardian signature is not required for Teen Card.
- Photo ID is required. (Student ID).
Fines and Loan Rules Guidelines
- Privilege limit is 12 months, but can be extended another year if under 18.
- You may borrow 1 SJPL item and have access to Library’s eResources.
- All fines and loan rules apply to the Teen Card.
- Library cards are not transferable and can only be used by the individual registered for that card.
- Lost or stolen cards must be reported to SJPL as soon as possible to avoid being held responsible for items checked out on the card.
Converting to Full Card Privileges
A Teen Card can be converted to a full privilege library borrowing card when the parent/guardian signs the agreement. Parent/guardian will assume full responsibility for the materials and any fines charged to the card.