Children with Special Needs Resources
Questions About Diagnosis
- California Department of Developmental Services
- Local School Districts
- Your local school district assists children aged 3 and over
- An Individual Educational Plan (IEP) will be created
- Pediatric Neurologist
- If you are uncertain about your child’s diagnosis, a pediatric neurologist may be able to assist you in determining your child’s condition
Resources for Parents
- Parents Helping Parents of Children with Special Needs, Santa Clara, CA
- Provides a wealth of services to families of children with special needs including education, community and family services, and health-related services
- Accessible Play for Children with Disabilities and Their Families — National Lekotek Center
- Adaptive toy companies and lending libraries
- Organizations serving families of children with special needs
- Ask an Expert email service, Toy Resource Helpline, etc.
- Book Lists and Book Reviews on Special Needs Children
- Book topics include ADHD, adoption, allergies, asthma, autism, cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, premature babies, seizures, speech, language and visual impairment.
- Children's Disability Lists of Lists
- Annotated list of Support Groups for families of children with disabilities and special needs
- Needs covered include ADD/ADHD, adoption, allergies, asthma, birth defects and down syndrome.
- First 5 Santa Clara County
- Provides a wealth of resources for parents of children with special need
- Listings include different agencies such as: parent-support sites, specific illnesses, inclusion, early childhood intervention, services, and reading aloud sites
- Inclusion Warm Line
- A free support, information and referral service regarding the inclusion of children with special needs and disabilities in our community
- Special Education Law and Advocacy for Children with Disabilities — Wrightslaw
- Includes such topics as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004), No Child Left Behind, autism, etc.
Social Activities for Children
- The City of San José’s Parks and Recreation Department’s Therapeutic Services Program
- Provides access to all in sports, recreation, and mental health programs
- Autism Speaks
- Lists programs in California that provide social activities for children with autism. The listing may be further limited by zip code.
- Community Gatepath of Northern California
- Helps individuals achieve personal goals and live full and productive lives. Located in San Mateo, this organization has many activities for kids with special needs in the South Bay.
- Inclusive Story Times at San José Public Libraries
- A safe and supportive learning environment where your child with special needs can interact with peers
Resources for Teens
- Resources for Minors
- A list of government and non-profit agencies that help teenagers, children and families