AmeriCorps VISTAs at SJPL
SJPL VISTAs support critical Library programs through fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment. AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve for a calendar year. VISTAs gain valuable work experience while also receiving a living stipend and an education award at the end of their service year.
The Library VISTA Project Initiated in 2019 and since then the Library has engaged 11 total VISTA members. Collectively these VISTAs have recruited over 100 new community volunteers, secured $76,000 in cash resources, and secured $73,100 in non-cash resources supporting high impact programs and services at the Library.
The benefits of being a SJPL VISTA include:
- $1,027 stipend every 14 days of service
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service stipend of up to $6,185
- Health benefits
- Child Care Benefits
- Student loan deferment and interest.
A complete explanation of VISTA benefits can be found on the AmeriCorps Website.
“Working at the library as a VISTA this year has reinforced my career goals. I was already considering getting an MLIS degree to become a librarian before this year, and now that I have experience working in a library branch I am even more confident in my decision to pursue this path.”
– Laura Dion SJPL VISTA Alum
“I think that being an AmeriCorps VISTA is a really great experience, and being a VISTA at SJPL is even better! Working with the library is really great and you can really see how your project impacts those around you.”
– Yui Jenkins SJPL VISTA Alum
How to Join the SJPL VISTA Team
SJPL is currently recruiting for the next class of VISTAs for the 07/05/2022 - 07/04/2023 service year. Library VISTAs will work full time (40 hours a week) in one of the following Library units:
Interested applicants will need to complete an AmeriCorps application, submit a resume and cover letter, and attend a virtual interview. The ideal candidates will have experience or an interest in community organization or service as well as a college degree.
Steps to Becoming a SJPL VISTA
- Find out if the SJPL VISTA Program is a good fit for you.
- Go to AmeriCorps VISTA Website to learn more about VISTA program benefits and requirements.
- Complete an AmeriCorps Application for the City of San José: Library VISTA Opportunity by 5/27/2022.
- Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select applicants will be invited to attend a virtual interview (date TBD).
- Community Organization
- Fund raising/Grant Writing
- General Skills, Education, Leadership, Team Work, Public Speaking, Communications, Writing/Editing, Recruitment.
- Age: 18+
- Education: college graduate
- Language: bilingual skills in Spanish or Vietnamese highly desired.
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.