Returns Of Non- San Jose Library Materials
Statement of Policy & Text
- The San José Library is not responsible for non- San José Library items that are returned to the San José Library.
- If customers return items belonging to other library systems to the San José Library, the library will attempt to return those items to the owning library, as resources allow.
- If customers return their own books or media materials to the San José Library, those items will be kept at the library for one week, then donated to the Friends of the Library or discarded, as appropriate. The library is not responsible for personal items returned to the library by customers.
- Borrowers who return San Jose Library materials to other library systems are responsible for those items until the items reach the San Jose Library.
- This policy does not apply to San José State University Course Reserves items, which must be returned to the King Library. If these items are returned to other libraries, the items will not be considered returned until they reach the King Library, and accrued fines will not be waived.
Need for the Policy
Customers occasionally return San José Public Library materials to other library systems, and return other libraries’ materials or their own materials to the San José Public Library. In the interest of good customer service, the library attempts to rectify these mistakes. This policy will serve to establish policy and procedure for handling items returned to San José Public Library that belong to other libraries or individuals, and items that belong to San Jose Public Library that are returned to other library systems.
Requirements & Guidelines
Customers are encouraged to return borrowed items to the library from which they were borrowed.
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|SJSU Associate Dean||Jo Bell Whitlatch||2/1/06|
|SJPL Supervising Librarian||Gordon Yusko||2/1/06|
History & Dates
Category of Policy: User Services
Author(s): SJPL Library Assistant, Gayle Davis
Authorized by:Jo Bell Whitlatch and Gordon Yusko
Date(s) of Revision(s): 3/10/10gd