Meeting Rooms for Internal Use
Statement of Policy & Text
SJPL and SJSU library employees may book the Meeting Rooms 225, 229, 255, 257, 455, Boardroom, Computer Labs, and Staff Conference Rooms without approval from the Library co-managers, providing that the meetings involve Library business and support the Library’s mission.
Need for the Policy
The King Library is committed to providing equitable access to the meeting rooms for Library employees to conduct Library-related business, in support of the Library’s mission.
Requirements & Guidelines
SJPL and SJSU Library employees may book Meeting Rooms 225, 229, 255, 257, 455, Boardroom, Computer Labs and Staff Conference Rooms without co-manager approval. Reservations must be cancelled if the room reservation is no longer needed. Food and drinks are allowed in the meeting rooms but not the computer labs – unless the laptops are put away and not being used. All meeting rooms shall be left clean and furniture placed in their original setup.
Meeting Rooms 225, 229, 255, 257, 455 and Boardroom must be reserved through the Meeting Room Coordinators. Contact the Meeting Room Coordinator for your institution (SJSU 8-2011; SJPL 8-2163) for special requests or questions. To request a hold be placed on a room, complete the required Business/Public/University Program Reservation Request Form. Room requests will be accommodated subject to availability on a first-come, first-served basis. Co-manager approval is not needed.
Rooms 225, 229, 255, 257 are intended to be used for:
- Programs that further the Library’s mission to provide opportunities for a lifetime of learning.
- University or City government non-recurring business meetings.
- Business meeting held by a community group.
Library employees co-sponsoring external meetings or events that do not exclusively involve internal library business must complete a Business/Public/University Program Reservation Request Form adhering to the Policies and Procedures for external room reservation requests, including obtaining co-manager approval.
The public may also reserve these rooms. See MEETING ROOMS FOR BUSINESS/PUBLIC USE policy.
- 455 - Only for King Library staff meetings or official library advisory committees. Must be reserved through a Meeting Room Coordinator. No approval is required from co-managers.
- Boardroom - Only for King Library staff meetings or official library advisory committees. Must be reserved through a Meeting Room Coordinator. No approval is required from co-managers.
- Computer Labs/Training - Only for library instruction or professional development/training for employees. Must be reserved through a booking module in Meeting Room Manager by designated Library staff. No approval is required from co-managers.
- Staff Conference Rooms - 10 rooms available for staff functions and meetings (L04, L35e, 333,455, 4005, 4013, 4017, 4024, 4025, and 4029. Must be reserved through a booking module in Meeting Room Manager. No approval is required from co-managers.
The following Meeting Rooms on the 5th floor require special authorization – See 5th Floor MEETING ROOMS policy for specific information.
- Cultural Heritage Center – Only for programs and meetings of multi-cultural interests. Special arrangements need to be made.
- Rooftop Terrace – is restricted to Special Events sponsored by the Library co-managers.
- Schiro Program Meeting Room – Only for programs and meetings sponsored by one or all of the Special Collection Centers. Special arrangements need to be made.
- Children’s Exploration Meeting Room (this room is located on the 1st floor in the Children’s room) -- Special arrangements need to be made contact : Youth Services 808-2183
Library Employee Room Reservation Requests to Meeting Room Coordinators:
SJPL and SJSU Library employees can book these rooms for library related meetings. Employees can book rooms by completing an internal reservation form and submitting it to the appropriate Meeting Room Coordinator (University/Community Organizations contact – Candice McGee at (408)808-2011), (SJPL, and City of San Jose department reservations contact – Marti Zarate at (408)808-2163). This form helps to provide us with all the information needed for your meeting. While the internal form is required for internal groups, it does not need co-manager approval.
If you are booking a room for a program, please complete Business/Public/University Program Reservation Request Form.
If the meeting is recurring, a form should be filled out with the dates or the recurrence listed on the form- there is no need to fill out a separate form for each date. Should you happen to need equipment or a special setup for one of your recurring meetings, please be sure to contact the Meeting Room Coordinator (SJPL 808-2163; SJSU 808-2011) at least 2 weeks in advance to give notice of these requested changes.
University and City Employee Room Reservation Requests:
Employees of either the university or the city can also reserve rooms for city or university business. Because the primary purpose of the facility is to meet library programming and training needs, criteria and limitations exist for room scheduling of non-library groups in King Library.
F For additional information on how to reserve a room, see the Library’s webpage: “King Library Meeting Rooms” for additional information. Also reference to the King Library Meeting Rooms Public/Business Use policy, the Meeting Room Request Form and procedures.
General Public and Library Staff
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
History & Dates
Category of Policy: Administration/ Operations
Author(s): SJSU Meeting Room Coordinator, Candice McGee; SJPL Meeting Room Coordinator, Marti Zarate
Authorized by: KMT
Date(s) of Revision(s): 11/15/2010, 3/22/13
A. Meeting Rooms - Overview Policy
B. Meeting Rooms Business/Public Use (King Library) Policy
C. Website: King Library Meeting Rooms
D. Meeting Rooms -5th floor (Special Authorization Required)
E. Meeting Room Procedures - Internal Use