Information Tables Policy
Statement of Policy & Text
The Library may provide, on a space-available basis, an area or table where weekly newspapers, community newsletters, literature, leaflets, brochures, fliers, etc., may be placed, by committees or organizations, or by individuals. This is in order to inform and educate citizens regarding upcoming civic and community events, news, or materials pertaining to current campaigns for public office, ballot measures, or other election matters. Materials involving solely commercial advertising for business or consumer transactions may not be placed in such areas or on such tables.
Need for the Policy
As part of Library services to the public, the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library or a library branch may provide, on a space-available basis, an area or table for the distribution of free written materials meeting the guidelines set forth above. The purpose of this policy is to facilitate, where practical, the availability of information to the citizens concerning civic and community events, news, and campaigns or election matters. The Library does not, by making such space available, necessarily endorse or support the viewpoints expressed in such materials, and will administer the availability of such area or table in an impartial manner.
Areas or tables made available under this policy shall be labeled "Community Information Area" and shall display a sign with the following statement:
- "This Community Information Area is made available for the distribution of written materials that inform and educate regarding upcoming civic and community events, news, or materials pertaining to current campaigns for public office, ballot measures, or other election matters. Materials involving solely commercial advertising for business or consumer transactions are not permitted. Materials placed here must identify the committee, organization, or individual responsible for the material. The Library Department does not, by making this area available, necessarily endorse or support the viewpoints expressed in such materials. Permanent Display—Do Not Remove This Sign"
Requirements & Guidelines
- Responsible for replenishing the stock without notification of status of materials by the library.
- Responsibility for delivery of materials to the library and placement in the designated area.
- The only materials that library staff may distribute in large quantities through library delivery services are publications furnished by organizations or groups supported in whole or part by public funds.
Other types of publications will not be routed through library delivery services in quantity , though single copies may be sent out to each branch at the discretion of the Library Administration.
- Library staff may remove past dated or materials that do not meet the requirements listed above or to maintain a neat and organized appearance.
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|Assistant Director||Ned Himmel|
History & Dates
Category of Policy: Administrative/Operations
Author(s): SJPL Supverising Librarian, General Collections: Rita Torres
SJPL Assistant Director: Ned Himmel
Authorized by: KMT 06/04/04
Date Written: 06/08/04
Date Effective: Immediately
Date(s) of Revision(s): 07/02/04 dk, 2/23/05