Government Publications - Depository
Statement of Policy & Text
The King Library is a federal depository and a full state depository. A depository emblem is displayed at all public entrances and is visible from the exterior.
Need for the Policy
To explain and understand where the non-circulating and circulating collections are located in the library.
Requirements & Guidelines
- The federal government publications collection is shelved in the Lower Level. State and local publications that are located in the Lower Level are a part of a retrospective project. This project will re-class these publications to be interfiled with either the circulating or reference collection. State and local government publications are interfiled with either the circulating or reference collections or in the Lower Level.
- Because of the format of many federal government publications and location in the compact shelving area, some federal government publications will be shelved in file boxes.
- Circulating federal depository CD-ROM’s and DVD’s shelved on the 2nd floor reference area in CD cabinets.
- A card catalog, which reflects uncatalogued state and local government publication collections, will be kept for customers/users until retrospective cataloging has been completed. The card catalog for federal government publications will remain due to the fact that pre-1986 material is not in the current retrospective cataloging bidget/
- Environmental Impact Reports (EIR’s) owned by the public library will be catalogued. Some EIR’s will be housed in the California Room. Selection of EIR’s for transfer to the California Room are consistent with California Room’s collection management policy.
Sue Kendall, Government Publications Coordinator
All SJSU Library Departments
All SJPL Library Departments
|Reviewed and approved by:||Signature/Name||Date of Approval|
|SJPL Supervising Librarian||Lisa Rosenblum|
|SJSU Associate Dean||Jo Bell Whitlatch|
|KMT||Ruth Kifer, John Wenzler, Mary Nino, Luann Budd, Anne Cain, Neil Rufino, Sandra Stewart, Katie DuPraw||2/21/2013|
History & Dates
Category of Policy & WBS#: Collection Management
Author(s): Government Publications Coordinator, Sue Kendall
Authorized by: KMT
Date Written: 4/25/05
Date Effective: 4/25/05
Date(s) of Revision(s): 2/21/2013